Wednesday, November 18, 2009

She said what?

It started out good, you know. About 4 years ago I had all intentions of making a baby book and remembering every cute and adorable thing that my children said or did. This was before I realized that I can barely keep up with their cute and adorable selves while they're running around and pulling everything out of place that isn't bolted in. So when the time did come about that I could sit down and write it in the book most of the good stuff was already out of my head and lost forever.

Until one fine day. I read an article about a memory box, now please don't ask me what magazine this was in because that Mommy brain I was talking about earlier, yeah I still have it. Hard core. But the idea is simple grab a scrap piece of paper lying around and write the memory you want to keep on it. I've even gone as far as quickly as writing it on a crumbled up receipt and then transferring it to a "cuter" piece of paper later. At first a shoe box was fine, it served it's purpose, but personally I didn't want to use a box, even though with all the scrapbook paper and spray paint these days you could make it pretty snazzy I'm sure. So I racked my mind and went out and bought a simple plain Jane cookie jar from Target. It was about 5.00 give or take.

Then take some stickers, and ribbon-- anything you'd like to make the jar "you" and pretty that lil' thang up. I use all white paper in mine just because I like the look but you could do something like this jar and use different colored papers. Whatever tickles your fancy. :)

It does help especially with Mr. P being gone, it's nice for him to go through it and read all the silly things are kids say while he's away.

One of my favorites... From LB1 this past summer.

"Mom, you know people really aren't black and white. I don't know why everyone says that. We're all just different kinds of tan. Some people are more light tan and some are more dark"

Sometimes the simplest minds are the greatest.

So there you have it, the easiest way I can show you to remember those little moments. And, a cute way to store them! :) Enjoy

The Shabby Chic Cottage

DIY Day @ ASPTL

Transformation Thursday over at Shabby Chic Cottage! :)

Don't forget to sign up for the giveaway! Runs till Sunday!

21 comments:

Gretchen said...

That is SUCH a good idea! I love it!!! I'm such a scatterbrain that I have about five little notebooks with me at all times in order to keep track of things- gift ideas for people, quotes I like, grocery lists, recipes I want to try and, of course, a to do list book! So I LOVE your idea! And the jar you made is ADORABLE!

Unknown said...

Such a cute idea and jar. I wish I had thought of this idea when my kids were growing up!

Nancy

Sharon said...

what a wonderful idea! I'm hoping that my blog might serve as a baby book, because I'm terrible about capturing them on paper! Pictures, yes, scrap book? NO (sadly).

Swing by today if you get the chance. I host a blog carnival each Thursday about JOY -- I bet you have a lot of that!

Jen J. said...

Very cute & a GREAT idea - I will definitely do this when i have children!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea! So simple and easy. Which I need with a 3yr old and 1 yr old to keep up with!

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Precious - we do something similar but your jar is the cutest. :0

Mandy said...

How darling is this!? I can't wait to copy :)
TFS!

Emily@remodelingthislife said...

Very sweet and simple. We have a thankful jar along similar lines but not as cute :)

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

My facebook status is my memory jar and it doesn't keep for very long :). I love this idea!

Emily@remodelingthislife said...

Very sweet and simple. I love it. We have a thankful jar along the same lines but not as cute :)

Karen The Graphics Fairy said...

Awesome idea and it's so pretty too!!

Wendy said...

Great idea!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That is a great idea! I like it better than the box, too.

Shayla said...

first of all I LOVE jars, so any project that has to do with jars I will totally buy :)

I LOVE how simple yet elegant the decorations are, and the idea behind it is so wonderful! I work with children and I wish I had a jar for some of the crazy things they say!!! Your husband is going to cherish this when he gets home :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Hi, Rachelle! :) I love your memory jar. I haven't touched my scrapbook stuff in more than a year (blushing)...I had planned to do a 1st year scrapbook for each of them.

I finished one for my oldest, but I only did a few pages for my younger daughter--who's almost 2! The idea for a memory jar is GREAT for moms who want to preserve memories, but don't have the time or money to spend on scrapbooking! :) I love the glittery letters you used.

Visiting from Kimba's party. :) Here's my link from yesterday:
http://serenitynow4amanda.blogspot.com/2009/11/diy-simple-party-invites.html

Michelle@Everyday Celebrating said...

Fabulous! I have a 365 photo blog of my son. Next year I'm redesigning and calling it "conversations with keaton". Very similar to this, but in blog format. He's 3 and at the age where he says the funniest things. I want to remember them always. I'll do that for a year and then create a book out of them for him to have when he's grown. :)

gigharborscrapper said...

I LOVE this idea...can I share it on my blog? I think I want to make a few gifts...those letters are awesome are they sticker letters?
Valerie

Unknown said...

I'm so loving this! My two oldest when they were little used to participate by putting their little notes in a Prayer Jar for answered prayer. Please stop in & if you like what you see, don't forget to click the "follow" & "subscribe" button so we can share each others creativity more often.

trish said...

This is such a wonderful idea. My children are older now and so thankful to have written down some of the silly things they have said. :o) They bring back such sweet memories.
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Amber Filkins said...

I did memory jars last year around Christmas. I did one for myself, one for my mom & mother in law, and one for my grandmother. Then I filled them with some of the funny things my girls have said. And for my grandmother, funny things that all of the grandkids have said.

But I reeeeeally like your jar!! I love those jars from Target. Like la-la-love. And I love the glittery letters that you used!

Nicole said...

I LOVE THIS !!!! :]

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin