Friday, December 4, 2009

How to decorate a faux mantel

We aren't lucky enough to have a fireplace and a real mantel in our current house, so I was given the task of finding something else. You've all seen my faux mantel here in the summer. Light and airy.


and here, black, white and orange for Halloween.

and last Christmas with it's "hurry and put it up on Christmas eve with what you have lying around" garland. I'm a little embarrassed for this.

Ew huh? Isn't it funny how you grow into your decorating in a little year. My tastes and, I'll say this lightly, but my standards have changed so much for my home. I scrapped that impromptu garland and bought some 2.00 after Christmas sale at Target garland. LOVE.IT. It's a 6 footer and pre-lit, not to mention a whole freakin' ton little more real looking than the first. Not much, but a little. I liked the berries in the first and a few of the leaves so I when I put up my new one I took some cut up pieces and stuck 'em in there. Nester style.
[Just so you know, I think in my blog life I've used "Nester Style" about 14 times total. Free advertisement Miss Nester, your welcome. :)]
Anyways I had some leaf picks from the clearance sale last year too, and surprise surprise they were gold. I've never done gold in my Christmas decorations and I'm really liking it.

I planned on doing colored lights and bright tones like before, somewhat like a Whoville Christmas for the girls; but this big guy I've got goin' on..not gonna lie...really loving it. REALLY, loving it. It's like Classy Christmas threw up all over my mantel.

The sign I had from last year, candles, vases, sticks and ornaments were lying around the house and I bought some fake snow from the dollar store. So total for this project? 3.00, yes three dollar gorgeous Christmas garland for my ghetto fabulous faux mantel.

I'd like to add more candles, but obviously they'd just be for looks with all the fake greenery and fire hazard snow I've got goin' on up there. So it they show up, that's nice. If not, I don't think Santa will mind.
I've even been collecting gold toned trinkets to put in the garland, because well.. why not?

Gold Star fish.

Golden locks?

Too much?
Merry Christmas. :)


The DIY Show Off


DIY Day @ ASPTL


Beth's Impromptu linky party.. Fun stuff, oh the memories. ;)



16 comments:

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Love your faux mantel and I wouldn't go as far to say "ew" for last year's but this year's rocks! And I love gold.

Cara@HomespunKitchen said...

Love it! I think it looks amazing:) I got your stuff in the mail today, YAY!!! Can't wait to use the cookie cutters, the girls are sooo excited! And the key is on the tree, and I'm LOVIN the little far it came in!! THANK YOU!!!

Cara

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

So So Pretty! I love the faux mantel idea! The gold is gorgeous! Happy Holidays!

Unknown said...

I love that garland. It looks so nice. The whole mantel does. You done good!

Nancy

Kathy said...

BEEEEaUUUtiful!!!

I have notived how your decorating and blog have matured leaps and bounds in the past year! I LOOVE that you didnt settle for being mantleless :)

Unknown said...

It looks great!!! :) Good job!

Kelly said...

I love the idea of a faux mantel! I may have to check out Target to see if I can find a shelf that looks like yours since I'm oh so jealous of those that have the real deal. Yours looks amazing!

Unknown said...

I need a faux mantel too!!! I love yours... :)

Mandy said...

looks so pretty! we don't have a mantle, either :(
Shelves are so much fun!

Angie Holden said...

I love it! I too am mantleless (hmm is that a word!). This is really inspiring!

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst said...

Love the faux mantel idea. I too am going with classy and elegant this year. :-)

Delightful Dwelling said...

It looks great! What a neat idea to make your own faux mantel. I really love you had it decorated in the first photo for the summer.

Unknown said...

No, not too much. Beautiful. I love the faux mantel. Great idea. Christmas decorations are sensational!

Southern Fried Gal said...

You crack me up! I love the idea of a faux mantel. The gold starfish is my favorite.

An Oasis in the Desert said...

I think you did a great job decorating your faux mantle. I like all the white lights with just small touches of the red & green. Perfect.
CAS

{oc cottage} said...

Looks "faux" fabulous! ;}

m ^..^

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin