Monday, August 23, 2010

Making it mine.

While on a recent antiquing trip with my Mom for her birthday (Happy Birthday Mom!) she bought me (yes I know, her birthday and she buys me crap.. Mothers *sigh*) a super old, super heavy, super delicious milk crate. I'm in.love.with.it.

Excuse the bad lighting, it's rainy and dark here but I'm too excited to show you to wait! :)


I wanted to add a touch of "me" to it. I had seen an idea just like this somewhere and now for the life of me I can't find it to link up-- if you did this or know who did email me! Credit given to credit due!

*My friend Sandra informed me that there's a similar post like this at Cap Creations! It's not the exact one I saw, but very close-- and super cute too! 

So, here's what I did. I looked up a font that was oldish--scriptish--and easy enough for me to free hand. It wasn't going to be perfect and I'm okay with that. Then I painted it on and scuffed it up. The number is our anniversary date by the way. I love it!


And, for the crate-- it's not deep enough to hold anything thick and lovely like a gorgeous cream blanket I had in mind but it's perfect for a healthy amount of magazines. I could fill it all the way up and it might just drive my husband crazy-- I'm a pottery barn magazine hoarder, I know this. :)




I have a little idea for the top shelf of the table too. Just you wait! 
*Nope, my walls aren't yellow-- There's that crappy lighting again!*


Anything you added your personal touch to? Even if it was an antique and took all the value away? But added infinite value in your home? :)


20 comments:

Jen said...

Love it! I almost had my hands on one of these a few weeks ago...I was at an antique shop and I like to walk around and look at everything before I pick anything up...I spotted it..walked on by...came back to get it about 30 min later & it was GONE!!! Ughh!

Jen said...

Love it! I almost had my hands on one of these a few weeks ago...I was at an antique shop and I like to walk around and look at everything before I pick anything up...I spotted it..walked on by...came back to get it about 30 min later & it was GONE!!! Ughh!

Jen said...

Love it! I almost had my hands on one of these a few weeks ago...I was at an antique shop and I like to walk around and look at everything before I pick anything up...I spotted it..walked on by...came back to get it about 30 min later & it was GONE!!! Ughh!

1 Funky Woman said...

How sweet is your mom for giving you gifts on her birthday! I love your added touch to an already fabulous piece!

junkermidge said...

What a great way to add a little somethin somethin to that already awesome crate! Perfect spot there in your nightstand. So nice of your mom to get that for you.
Midge

Anonymous said...

this crate is awesome, what a great find!!! I love the stencil you added!!
lifeofperks.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

That's so cool! My mom's always pulling that trick on me too. Sigh!!! Love the personal touch on your crate.

Nana's Fun Stuff said...

Love the crate Rachelle! What a wonderful Mom you have :) Love the personal touch you put on it. Totally finishes it off! Have a great week!

Jill said...

It's a perfect fit in there! Clearly it was meant to be! :)

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

~*~LOVE the crate! Especially love that you made it personal~*~* Blessings, Rachel *French at Heart*

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

I LOVE it!! Fabulous job! So unique. I cannot wait to see what else you do with it!

Kenzie said...

So cute! What a great find, I have been looking for one like this forever! So jealous!

Rhiannon said...

luv that crate!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Good call! I need to get over myself and do that with the crate I have in my family room.

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

I need some of these crates for my pantry. Love it!!

Sawdust Girl said...

Love it and what a cute idea to put your anniversary date on it.

B said...

LUCK EEEEEE! Looks great with the numbers.

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

What a great find, and loving how it looks on that white side table.

:)
Sarah

cushy said...

you have a wonderful mom. hoping to find some crates this weekend at a flea market.

Amanda@RelovedRubbish said...

I love unique storage containers and this one is a beauty! I love the color of the wood and the metal on the edges. Great find!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin