Monday, October 25, 2010

Scrapbook paper fixes everything

First things first, Thank you to all of you who have emailed, commented, shouted from the rooftops, telling me that you've voted! I'm so seriously thankful for each and everyone of you! Remember you can vote daily until November 5th. So any extra votes you can give me would be great! Think of all the awesome blog posts I can do if I win! A brand new basement? Geesh, that would be quite the blessing since we've decided to take the house off the market. One more time, Thank you! Still haven't voted today? Hope on over, it's just one click!

Now onto the fix ups. :) My living room is super small as you know, so anything I can bring in to add interest I try and do, for cheap of course.

The main focal point of the room is
#1 The large and in charge fantel that sits above the t.v.
#2 The T.V, say it isn't so huh? I know, but it has to go there and the couch has to face it. No fabulous fireplace for me. Boo.
#3 The bookshelf next to the t.v, these drawers are the ones that hold all the hidden toys and movies. Sneaky huh? It's not the best unit in the world, it was from Meijer. I wouldn't choose to put a bunch of heavy books on it but it serves it's purpose I suppose with the storage. I think I'll keep it. :)


But it did need a little more personalization, case in point. Scrapbook paper. This isn't any new idea, I think everyone started using it to line the back of their hutches once the Nester did hers way back when I'm just jumping on the bandwagon a little late...er, two years or so. Hate me, but I couldn't find the right paper. Until this glorious faux wood planks showed up in my life. They came from Hobby Lobby and they're fantastic.


I just used a little tape and slid them into place. Done and done. I threw some little items on it for a little bit of "pretty". A vintage milk carrier from the thrift store and some candles and the girls shilouette and a photo of my Mom and Aunt in a Ball jar. Love it. I tried to find the picture of my cousin and I in our halloween costumes from when we were little. We had those creepy old plastic masks on, I was a princess and she was Bert (sesame street) but she bit his nose off. Priceless, where is it? Gah.

 See the teeth marks from when my youngest chewed on the bottom shelf? Kids..Seriously? Sometimes I wonder about them. 



Then some of the fall magazines I want left out for the yummy recipes, plus the colors are perfect of course.


Top shelf, the scent burner. Gotta keep it away from little fingers :) A birdhouse I won from a giveaway and little lovies pumpkin from years ago. Is it perfect? No, but everything on this shelf is something I love. I'm good with that.

Sticking with the creams, blacks and hints of orange, you can see that I dress my children according to our decor.


Just kidding. But she's just too cute not so share, even when she's messing with the T.V no matter how many times I say no.

Linking up to Thrifty's Before and After party..even though I'm lame and missed out on the before part. ;)

8 comments:

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} said...

I can't believe that is scrapbook paper?!?!? Looks great...the uses are seriously endless!

xo

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

What a great idea! I hadn't seen it anywhere so it's new to me. I love how it looks!! I have built-ins in my family room and there is wallpaper on the back (but it's 80's and outdated)...time for a little re-do me thinks!!

Anonymous said...

Love it! :) Looks great and you wouldn't think it was paper!!

Christine said...

its cool! I have a coffee table that I could refinish but I can't bring myself to do it because it has kid souvenirs all over it - spilled nail polish, a gash where my son tried to cut the table with his kiddy scissors, etc. Teeth marks would have been great....

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

Looks fantastic!

Thanks for stopping by before and leaving such a sweet comment :)

The chairs you were looking at were actually these ones, in case you wanted to try to pair them with your CL table.
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70103250

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

TOTALLY thought that was real wood at first glance.
How fantastic.
Your livingroom is gorgeous. Plus, I'm really glad you did some dark and some light, because I have lots of the dark, and have been nervous about implementing more WHITE! So thanks for taking the plunge on my behalf (even if you didn't know it!)

April said...

so cute!!!

Sassy Sites! said...

I am hosting a "Trash to Treasure" party over at Sassy Sites! You should come by and join in! :) xoxo!- Marni
www.sassysites.blogspot.com

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin