Friday, December 9, 2011

Christmas Ornament making

When it came to my Christmas decor this year I wanted something a little different than my usual gold scheme. I tried my hardest to rock the blue/green/peacock combo but I just couldn't love it. And, if mama don't love it, she can't deal with it in her face for a month. It just wasn't cozy enough for me, but it shore was purdy.

On to something else though.

Red, because it screams cozy to me. But with a twist, some gray. Which could feel really cold and the opposite of warm and cozy but, I think with the right color gray and with the soft textures it works really well.

First up, some yarn ornaments. These aren't new to the blog world at all so I'll spare you a how to. It's easy, hot glue a bit then wrap. Over and over and over it can feel like forever. I also only glued the ornament and didn't add any more on once it was all covered because as you wrap the yarn holds itself. Easy. No mess. Non-breakable. Yes please.



Next up. Faux mercury glass ornaments.



Now, a few things.

They aren't exactly mercury glass looking, almost like old foggy glass mirrors? Spooky looking windows? This is because I couldn't find any mirror spary paint at Michaels the other day. Clearly everyone else wanted to make these ornaments too when I thought I was on to something new and awesome. ;) I also wasn't going to drive all the way across town to HL.. Oh well.

I used Chrome instead. Chrome works, I like how it looks.

First I did a super light coat on the ornaments and then I used a spray bottle filled with water and spritzed the ornaments pretty heavily. Then I sprayed the chrome once again and let it dry.

Once they were fully dry I wiped them off with a paper towel, you could take a light sander to it, which is what Katie did on her mirrors but I didn't have one on me and it was coming off really easily anyway.


Cue the Ohhhh and ahhhs Aren't they pretty? I love them! They're not reflective like mercury glass but they're so.. lovely! See through and splotchy but good splotchy! And, where the chrome was more heavily applied it's more shiny. All around good, okay. All. around. good.


 The tree looks so cute now! I can't wait to show you. :) Let's all cross our fingers and say a prayer that we get some nice weather in Michigan so I can take some pictures of it!

Until then.. me being artsy.. with one heck of an awkward pose going on.



3 comments:

debbie refresh restyle said...

These look great, I'm collecting idea...thinking about spray painting every ornament I have before next Christmas!
Debbie

Decor To Adore said...

Wow! You are a Christmas crafting genius! So glad I found you via Centsational Girl.

Please stop by for a visit to my blog. I am currently in the midst of a Gifts to Make series.

Be Merry and Bright!

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

Great ornaments! I really love the idea of the kid friendly yarn ones! These would be good for the lower levels of my tree.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin