Monday, September 28, 2009

Another PB inspired project.

Have you seen these lovelies over at potterybarn.com yet?




I tell you they're a beaut. I wanted them. Bad. I've even envisioned something HUGE like this one.


Photo from resolvedtoworship.xanga.com my newest addiction by the way.


Right, back to the giant cork board. I want one so bad. So so bad, like I looked all around my house for where one would fit. But of course we don't have it. So the Pottery Barn ones seemed like the perfect fit. Big, but not too big. Enough to make a statement. You know, "Hey I'm a huge cork board. Look at me." But let's be real. 149.00 for a strip of cork and a thin frame. Really? Riiight. I'll just make one. For free. Yes folks I said free.


I had a pretty big cork board from when I was younger that was in my garage hiding from all the possible owners walking through my house. It was in good shape just had a ugly frame on it. Too much honey color going on.


Oh..Okay well, apparently I didn't take a before picture. I'm lame like that. But I did take one in the middle of action.




She just got a quick coat of black paint and there you have it. The EXACT.SAME.THING. For 149.00 cheaper.





Even better, I had one of those completely amazing eye pictures framed up in my room from when I was like..11 or so, she hid in my garage too. Oh, and because your wondering -- The picture is of a whale. Keep the "I don't get it, I just see your reflection in the picture" Jokes to yourself. ;)



Couple sprays of chalk paint right on the glass and poof. Another 149.00 saved.





Don't judge my ugly basement. I know, it's THAT bad.



So, seriously. I just saved myself 300.00. Mr. P should give me an award. Something along the lines of "My wife is amazingly talented and can spray paint something ugly into something fabulous." You know, give or take.


Lets recap.

149.00



Free

149.00


Free




Have a fabulous week everyone! Don't forget to check out my "little cottage that could" feature from Friday! :)


Then hop back over to Kimba's and browse the other wonderful ideas going on for DIY day!

DIY Day @ ASPTL

Also posting this to The Shabby Chic Cottage! Go check all the transformations out!




30 comments:

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Awesome! You definitely deserve an award for those!

Jennifer Juniper said...

Free...my favorite price :) You'd never know it didn't cost $149.00

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Nice work! I love it when you can save loads of money by making something yourself. The key is having it look as good or better than the original and, in my opinion, you did that!

Delightful Dwelling said...

They look great! I thought that same thing when I saw those on the Pottery Barn site that they were crazy to charge $150 for a corkboard. I just bought one at Wal-Mart for $6 that has a makeover planned.

Dresser Girl said...

EXCELLENT JOB!!! I love them both!

Keelie said...

Great job! Very resourcesful--PB ain't go nothin on you! Loved your little helper, too! Can't wait till my partner in crime gets a little older!

Natalie Meester said...

I have been eyeing some old chunky frames at Goodwill. I think I may go buy one now and make a chalkboard!

I love the corkboard one as well....I am wanting one for our kitchen! Great job!

Fall Blessings,

Natalie

wedogmomma said...

Repurposing never looked SO good :D

Julia said...

So pretty - I love it!

Shanty 2 Chic said...

Great copy!!!!!! It's crazy that people will actually spend that much money on something when you can make it for free!!!! ~Ashley

Jen V said...

I am in love with the Julia Child quote! AND you have shown me how to do it for crazy cheap! Thanks so much for the inspiration - YOU ROCK!

Its So Very Cheri said...

I like your price much better. Go Girl Go.
I don't know if it is a google trick or if you forgot my button.

Cheri

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Love it... I've got both of these on my list of "want to do"

Funky Junk Interiors said...

LOL!!!! I love how you finished the post. Honestly, you made those high priced things look totally frivilous!

Yours are better anyway. :D

Donna

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

You've got to love free!!! They both turned out just as good as the original. Do people really pay that much?

Holly said...

They look great, and you can't beat the price! But come on, $149 for a corkboard? That's just crazy!

Kathy said...

Did you just find Alyssa's site? Isnt she the most amazing person and her photography!! Oh. MAN. I spent hours, and days pouring over every post. How cool is she?


I DID NOT know you could paint on the glass!! WOW!! I have a chalk board to hang and and need a corkboard but I have no walls left. I need to move anyway.

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful! It's great fun imitating others work!

I have a linky party going on come on over and link up! http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/2009/09/room-month-shade-tutorial.html

Kathy said...

Awesome!!! I love it!!

Mandy said...

I think i had the exact same magic eye poster. The chalkboard is a much better use for it!
Nice job!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love that you copy PB - I love them and can never afford their prices! Great job.

Its So Very Cheri said...

Is everybody feeling better?

You've been featured AGAIN.

Thanks for all the Great Inspirations.

Cheri

Unknown said...

You done good! They turned out really great!

Nancy

Amber B. said...

They really do look great! (and I love the resolved to worship blog, too!!)

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

I am so impressed! I love All Things Pottery Barn, so this is right up my alley. I will have to look for "junky" pictures in my house that I can repurpose using your ideas! Thanks for sharing!

The Phillips Place said...

These are great! We are in the process of buying our first house, and this is going on my list of "musts" for the kitchen/gathering area! :)

Roeshel said...

It's awesome! I love copying PB - usually ends up better and can't beat the price. You did a great job!

Roeshel

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Great redo!

cindy@cottage instincts said...

I cannot understand why anyone spends their hard-earned money on that kinda stuff....your knock-off is an awesome example of how easy (and cheap!) it is to be a copy-cat AND have the satisfaction of seeing your own 'work'. :o)

rebekahweckerly@gmail.com said...

Oh wow!! These look FAB!!!!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin