Monday, December 14, 2009

Easy last minute ornaments

Need a quick and easy present this year? How about if you can make each one for under 3.00? Yes? Let me show you how. Grab a 4 pack of big glass ornaments (if you wanted to stretch your dollar even more grab the normal size ornaments, I believe they come in an eight pack. Score!) a pack of scrapbook rub ons & some ribbon and package filler.

Grab your ornament and center your image and start rub rub rubbin.

I tried two methods, starting from the center and moving my way out, and starting from one end to the other.

I liked the first one. I'm sure there's a really good scientific reason for that maddness but I just thought it worked better. Getting out the bubbles better from the middle? Who knows, but this one wasn't from the inside -> outside technique and ended up a little wonky. Darn you crappy Y, darn you!

I think I'll give that to Grandma, she can't turn down my wonky ornament, and she loves anything I make. Ahh, Gram's aren't they great? *Sigh*

Back to the ornaments. Once you have it the way you want it, stuff some filler in it. I'm not sure if you can mess this up, my four year old did pretty awesome at it.

Then take your better ornament and grab some ribbon and tie it on, my ribbon was a little too fire engine red compared to the brick red color in the rub on but at the time it's what I had, and well.. You know I like using what I have! :)

See here I used some of my silver stickers from the Memory Jar? Love it. So pretty. Can't beat homemade, and under 3 bucks--or less!


Lastly, because it's cute. The girl who wont stop growing no matter how much I tell her to knock it off..







DIY Day @ ASPTL

Transformation Thursday @ Shabby Chic Cottage

26 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, cute idea! Thanks!

Nancy

GroverFamily said...

cute!

Megan said...

Love this idea... I may have to copy it... neither of mine won't stop growing either... even after I tell them they will be grounded for life if they dont! hehe!

~Meg

Unknown said...

oooh, I love ornaments and haven't made anything like this yet. what a great idea- thanks for the tutorial!

heidi @ wonder woman wannabe said...

Fun project! They look great!

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

What a great idea! I’m going to have to store this away for next year. I wanted to do a Christmas ornaments as a gift to our guest at our Christmas party but just ran out of time. We host an annual Christmas party for our friends and I thought it would be fun to do a different homemade ornament as a gift each year but no such luck this year. I’ll have to keep my eyes open after Christmas to see if I can get some ornaments to do this with for next year’s party!
http://domesticprincessintraining.blogspot.com

Its So Very Cheri said...

i love it-Hey girl super cute idea. You need to come over and post all your great ideas at my parties. I am still here google just doesn't update me any longer--they hate me.
I hope to see you SOON-super soon.

cheri

Mandy said...

very cute! Love the rub on sticker idea!

Jennifer Williams said...

Very cute and simple to make. I never would have thought to put rub-ons on ornaments!

Thanks for sharing!

Kirsty said...

So cute! What a creative idea!

Jenn said...

Very cute! These would make great teacher gifts!

Jennifer Juniper said...

It's really cute, especially with the light behind it!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Good project! I'll echo Jennifer...it looks great with the lights showing through. I've tried those with stickers before, but not with rub-ons. Great idea. :)

I'm visiting from Kimba's party today. :) Hope you'll stop by. Here's my link:
http://serenitynow4amanda.blogspot.com/2009/12/seaweed-is-always-greener.html

Barbara Jean said...

This is very sweet, and simple.

thanks for sharing it

barbara jean

Terrie said...

Visiting from Kimba's - lovely idea and since I'm not a scrapbooker, I haven't tried any of the aisles and aisles of stuff that goes with that. Sure looks easy and a great project to do with kids.
Terrie @YourDecoratingHotline

Anny said...

Your ornaments (and girls) are so cute! Thank you for sharing :D

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst said...

Your ornaments turned out lovely! The little imperfections are what make them one of a kind and beautiful. :-)

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Very, very cute! They would make a great gift! :)

Delightful Dwelling said...

Those are so cute! I made some ornaments similar to yours, but I haven't posted them on my blog yet. They are my post for Transformation Thursday. =)

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Cute! I love rub-ons!

Kari Sweeten said...

WooHoo! I discovered a new craft blog {well at least new to me}!
Love your projects and creativity! I'll be following.

arkie said...

Love your ornaments!

Wendy said...

What a great way to personalize an ornament...thanks for sharing!

Anna K said...

I did some of these last year with my kids and they are my absolute favorite ornaments.
Hint: DON'T use the Heidi Swapp fuzzy rubons. Impossible to actually rub on. I broke 2 glass balls in the process.
Yours turned out great. Thanks for sharing.

Marlana said...

Such a cute idea and can be so very personalized. Thanks for sharing!

Roeshel said...

So pretty and so easy! Love it! :)

Roeshel

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin