Monday, February 1, 2010

Bench warmers.

Finally I can sit down! It felt like I've been doing wall sits for a lifetime now. Yeah that was lame. But it's late and that's all I've got. Let's build a bench, shall we?

(Four) 2x4 pieces of 3/4inch MDF check.

(One box) Itty bitty finishing nails check

Wood glue to help stabilize the piece on my..heavy days. Check

Paint, empty wall space, eager builder Dad to take the lead help you along the way, check, check and check!

Lets go!

Make a frame. Front piece which is essentially like a toe kick to a cabinet. Then add a vertical brace in the middle. This will help stabilize it so it doesn't dip. Nobody wants a wimpy bench. :)

I didn't photo the brace. Shoot. But it goes directly in the middle. Ya know? Yes. Good.


Then we he cut the bottom of the bench, where the shoe baskets will be. He made it hang out a bit further than the frame. Just like cabinets remember? The sides go directly on top of the bottom piece and nailed into the wall and the bottom, with beads of glue along the way.

Add the seat, glue & nail.

Then the middle vertical piece to help hold the weight. We could have stopped there and it would have probably looked just fine, but adding some trim sealed the deal. Using the scraps from the bench we he cut 2 inch strips and made a frame around the opening, with a little lip above the top and bottom. It will help to keep the baskets in place and just make it prettier! :) That's it folks. Yep, easy huh?

Measure, frame, box it out, picture frame trim. If builder Dad wasn't such a perfectionist he would have let me use the power saw. Nope. When will he learn? :) It's not like those battens cut themselves Daaadddd.

Sorry my inner whiny 15 year old was coming out.

Looks sturdy. Shall we do a test run?


Perfect!

Before and After :)

Comin' along nicely if I say so myself! Notice the baskets? Come back tomorrow for the deets on those!

The DIY Show Off


25 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job! I love that space; you've really fixed it up well.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Great job!! It looks so good! I wish I had a little space like that!

Summer Rae said...

Beautiful!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Lookin' good girl! I'm impressed :)!

Rebecca D said...

I am truely loving what you are doing... I am very inspired!

Mama Thompson said...

Love the bench...your entry way is looking so great!

queenbee said...

Looks great! Wish I was as handy or that my handy step dad lived a little closer. My hubby doesnt even own power tools and doesnt want to.

stephanie h said...

Looks great so far!

Unknown said...

This is so great! I wish I had a little nook to put a cute bench in. I will for sure come back to see the finished product.

Jessi @ Yankee Belle Home said...

I'm super impressed! Can't wait to see the end result. Good luck, and thanks for sharing!

Angie Holden said...

Looking fabulous!! :)

Robyn Crumby Photography said...

Very nice! I love this!

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

So envious! I ended up buying a mudroom-style cabinet to serve this purpose, but if my husband and I were more "handy," I would love to have found a nook to do what you did! I love it.

Aja said...

Awesome! I am so jealous of your handy, readily-available dad and all those tools! Can't wait to see more!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Love it... your entry is coming along so nicely!

Jenn said...

Wow! I'm new to your blog, but I love what you've done! I laughed at your inner 15 year old comment. So funny. :)

Jenn said...

Wow! I'm new to your blog, but I love what you've done! I laughed at your inner 15 year old comment. So funny. :)

Kathy said...

BEEEE U TIFUL!! and sooo impressive!!

Magic Brush said...

Oh I wish I had the space for something like that! Looks great! Bless you!

Katie said...

I just drew a picture last night at dinner of something so similar to that for my hubby to build me. I want a bench/chest with a bead board back and hooks to hang little people's coats on and put shoes in. I'm loving that entry way. Go you!

Wendy said...

Looking around to see if I have a space to put them! I love it!! You did an awesome job :)
Wendy

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

That is awesome! It looks good already! I am very impressed!!!

Thanks for linking up!

XOOX
Jen

Life as we are living it said...

I can not believe that you have taken all my thoughts and put them right there in your entryway. I tried to explain this to my uncle but he told me the height would not look so well. Hello?!?!?! I know it looks good now. You can send your dad over when he's done. I love it!!!!! Women really do know best.

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.

Roeshel said...

I love it! Girl - you rock! I'm so impressed and inspired! What an amazing transformation!

:)
R

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin