Sunday, August 1, 2010

August special & Living room ideas

Hello, August! When did this happen? Seriously I feel like it was just spring a few days ago, makes me pretty sad! I know a lot of kids are going back to school soon (Weird? Why so soon?!) But we have a month left, thank GOODNESS! I don't want to rush kindergarten that's for sure.

*Tear* 

Anyway, I'd like to have a "one month left of summer" advertising special.. Think about it this way, you'll get exposure for your blog and have plenty left over school shopping! Everybody wins!


Want to know the stats? You'll get a 125x125 premium spot right smack dab next to the newest post, all for.. pitter patter pitter patter..

10.00 Buckaroos. 

Yup, Advertise in the month of August for 10.00. It's a great way to show off your blog and get some traffic! Email me at FOTFBlog@aol.com if you're interested.

Enough business-- more fun. 

Thanks to the help of you ladies and you're love for the jute. (And, a garage sale, selling my old couch, and a chair we didn't use, and pinching pennies) We splurged for something special! My couch.. I say My I mean, our. :) Mr. Fingerprints was a little worried about the white but so far so good! I love it! It's so airy in here! We have another tan/white & green pillow but those two are getting a bath thanks to our devil of a dog and his love for snuggling in them while he's wet and smelly. Yuck.



It's super comfortable and pretty affordable when it comes down to sectionals. Plus if we get sick of the white (yeah, right..) we could always get another slipcover. That's the best part, washable! Love it!

What I'd love more-- if I could get this living room wall arrangement figured out.
No, I still haven't cleaned my mirror. I only think about it when I'm photographing it, so there's me in my pjs at 7:00pm in a dirty mirror. Let's think less of the hot mess of a mirror and think of how to fix this. The mirror can't be centered because of the weight and it needs to be on a stud-- per Mr. Fingerprints and Builder Dad. I say-- what do they know.. ;) But, instead of risking a 100lb mirror on my head, I'll deal with off centered. I added the plates because they're classic and they look like polka dots to me. Now what the heck do I do to the other side. That blasted thermometer.. thoughts?

I have really awesome photoshop paint skills huh? Basically I have a lot of frames and art and photos but I can't find anything I love. I also have a cute barn star I thought about using, chalkboard with a chunky frame, I have a big C for my last name.. more little plates? Gah! Help!

Here's some ideas I've been looking at.








Love all that eye candy!

23 comments:

elizabeth @ twelvecrafts said...

I'm the worst a putting stuff up on walls. I've lived in my house for almost seven years . . . yep, that's right seven years, and I still have pictures on the floor leaning up against the wall where I think I might hang them eventually. So way to go on getting the mirror and the plates up! That's pretty enormous progress if you ask me.

Rebecca@This Present Life said...

I love the living room with the brown and white striped curtains! And with all that open space above your couch, you have plenty of room for a great vignette! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love your room and the white sofa is wonderful. I really like your second pic with the star. The only change I would make is to continue some more plates all the way to the corner or else remove the ones on the right. That way you have your arrangement centered. Great ideas of dealing with the thermostat. Hugs, Marty

Jill said...

New couch is exciting!! As for your wall problem, I like 1 & 3 that you did in paint. However, I think that if you did something like the last picture you posted, you could really hide the thermostat.

Betsy Thompson said...

I hate studs and heavy wall items! Needing to hang them on a stud totally messes up with my ideas of how something should be arranged! I love the mirror, and I think it being off-centered adds a bit of charm. I love the inspiration you have for the wall and I can't wait to see it finished!

Unknown said...

I see you have your sponsor section up and running the way you wanted it. Looks great. :) I'm totally jealous of your living room - it's so pretty. :) xoxo

Unknown said...

Oh and love your photoshop art work on the walls. LOL It's actually a brilliant idea though. :)

Kayleen@The Johnsosn Home said...

I love #2 with the star. I think that the way things are placed, plus the long pic under the mirror make everything appear balanced(ish). I think it looks great. Love the couch! Good Luck.

The Yellow Cape Cod said...

With kids and a dog you are going to love your washable white slipcovers. Best investment I ever made! I can't wait to see what you come up with for the wall. I'm sure it will be gorgeous!

My Cottage Charm said...

Two ideas...
1. Hang your mirror vertically...I bet there's a stud closer to the thermostat if you did that. (more centered) You could hang things all around it if it was closer to the thermostat side.
2. If you don't like the idea of hanging the mirror vertically, what about hanging something over the thermostat...like your big barn star. I have a wreath over mine, with a sign on the inside of the wreath that says welcome to our cottage, to hide the thermostat. Not too hard to move if I need to adjust the thermo...which we don't often do anyway.

I like all your ideas you did in photo shop though...so any of those would work well. ;)
Have a great day!
missy

98txag said...

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot & ask them for a hanger kit that doesn't require you to hang on a stud. We have a mirror over a dresser (which we wanted centered over the dresser obviously) and we used one of these and it is fantastic. I didn't know such a thing was possible or existed until the furniture delivery guy mentioned it. Sure enough, the people at Lowe's knew exactly what we were looking for. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Have you heard of Monkey Hooks? http://www.monkeyhook.com/ Each hook holds 50 lbs (the ones that I got) and I have a large heavy mirror hanging up with 2 and its like a rock, it does not move. I got mine at Ace Hardware but target and store like that carry them as well. Hubby was skeptical but after he read the package and installed them he loves them too. I have had the mirror hanging for more that 2 years now with no problems. Give them a try.

jaime Ciavarri said...

I love your couch!! Where did you get it?? Thanks jaime

KATIES MOM said...

How about a shelved(small) frame box? Hang it( the ones with the open back)over or around it... however you'd say it and then put something small like a photo, shell, star fish... it will distact from the look of the thing. Then go with all of your creative juices on addtional pieces! Love the sofa!

Anonymous said...

I'll be nosing through every comment to see the suggestions, and looking to see what you come up with. This is something that I really struggle with. I am terrible at arranging things on walls. I'm afraid mine are always boring, because I am so unsure!
lifeofperks.blogspot.com

Kitty Deschanel said...

I love, love, LOVE your little chalkboard behind the couch!!! I'm going to have to steal that idea for my own house :)

In celebration of reaching 200 followers, I am having my 1st ever link party. If you get a chance, I’d love for you to stop by!

Come Link Up With LambAround! WOO HOO!

Amanda said...

I gave you an award on my blog!

http://notyetinvented.blogspot.com

Amanda

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

I'm still loving that sofa!!
Thanks for stopping over, I always love your comments.

I know what you mean about True Blood, I am reading the books and I'm on book 5 or 6 and some of that stuff is coming out on the show. Whatever..still loving it!!

Hope you find your Jillian dvd. (insert evil laugh here)

-heather

Holly @ Roller Coaster Life said...

Can't you use those heavy object things from Home Depot!?!? We have our mirror which is also heavy hanging on the wall without a stud. You can look on the package they come in for the weight they will support!

Like these

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh7/R-100007784/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Did you get your sofa from Ikea?? I loove it!! I have always wondered how comfortable they were!

The Single Nester said...

I like the last photo with the plates and the three vertical pictures. Sit with it for a while until something speaks to you.

Life in Rehab said...

YAY for slipcovered sectionals! Mine is more than two tears old, and I still love it. If you do ever get tired of the white, you could always dye it. But it does look gorgeous!

Definitely drop a shelf under that thermostat so you can lean something over it. What a weird place to put it.

Room to Inspire said...

Your blog is wonderful! I am your newest follower!

Chelsea

Anonymous said...

Do you people have a facebook fan page? I looked for one on twitter but could not discover one, I would really like to become a fan!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin