Monday, August 30, 2010

Coffee table

Isn't it funny when you feel like you have a small house you try extra hard to not "fill it up" with stuff so that you have more space? But then when you walk into an Ikea and they have those little mock-up rooms filled with big entertainment units, sectionals, coffee tables, thick drapes and pretty pictures it's cozy and lovely and you just want to snuggle up and watch the fake t.v?

You say to yourself, okay this 10x10 room looks better than my 12x16 and it's smaller-- but cozier and I'd much rather have a place to put my drink than more space on the floor to see the stains from spilled drinks that didn't have a real place to sit.

You do say all that to yourself too right? Me too.

So I hauled the table my dear Builder Dad gave me, yes the one his father built-- into our house, AGAIN. I painted it last year in chalkboard paint so the girls could write all over it. Then I decided I hated chalk dust and it went into the garage. :) Now it's back and since I'm going through a paint everything white phase I'll give you a hint on what color I painted it.

It's not yellow.




It got a nice coat of white with a hint of the Upward blue/gray from our bathroom redo. The white itself was too... Something. So I crispified (Yup.) it up with some gray. Now it's nice and cool and looks great with the little peeks of black coming through from the previous paint and just as great with the honey colored wood coming through.

This is why I love distressed furniture, so when my girls beat up on it I don't worry about a scratch, it just matches the rest of them. Right now it has a pretty blue ball jar filled with rocks shaped like hearts the girls found, a shell and a rope ball on the top.


Who knows if it will stay or what will come about when I can finally decorate for FALL.. let alone Halloween my favorite.


Here's to putting things we love in our house because we want to, even if it breaks the rules. ;) Cheers.


19 comments:

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Looks great! I love all those Ikea inspiration rooms too! It's so nice that the table has a history too. Love the paint job!

maura said...

That looks great. I have a thing for white too! A coffee table is on my list also as I have a rinky-dink table in my family room that is just too small (could be because my son has his collection of legos sitting on top)

stefanie said...

oh, I do know what you mean!!!
I am redoing my family room and I would love a coffee table to have cute displays...but, the only displays would be my kids huge!!! feet..hahaha, so I am going with an big ottoman...sigh, no decorating it.

M.O.T.B said...

Looks so clean! I wish I could get away with that at my house...

Kim's Treasures said...

Right now, we are in a 635 sq. ft. transitional apartment. (Have to live here until our house in MI sells). We are in the process of IKEA-ing it. We are getting one of those big wall units, while huge will hide a multitude of sins (AKA my craft stuff and books!). I cannot wait to go and get it!

Your table looks perfect! Love the color and accessories!

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

~*~It turned out lovely!~*~Very serene and pretty room~*~*Rachel

Jen said...

Looks great! I change out my coffe table about twice a year..I have a " U " shaped sectional & nothing looks quite right...I don't know how those darn home store stylists do it!!!!

Gabby Malcuit said...

I love white furniture.

Star Talks said...

i TOTALLY know what you mean about ikea. what about those little walk-through "houses" they have that are only 275 sq. feet and are amazing?! how do they do it? :)
love the white table. and i agree about distressed furniture with kiddos!

Krista@RustikChic said...

What "rules"? ;) I am with you there! I think it looks great and I agree, the distressed furniture kid thing is a must. You're room looks very nice.

Kelli said...

It look great! I absolutely love the look of white these days! The room looks so relaxing, and crisp. I too have a room that I have been redoing in our new house. As our family calls it "the blue room" I painted the walls a nice sea blue, it is actully Martha Stewarts "etched Glass". We have beautiful white crown molding and baseboards that we just put in ourselves. I have a white coffee table and TV table along with the white drapes. I love this room and I am even thinking of painting a little end table white to put in the room as well. Good luck with many more projects!

Kelli
xoxo
loveoursimplelife.blogspot.com

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I love it, Rachelle! Especially the distressing. :)

So Sunny Day said...

Breaking the rules is what makes a house yoir own! so often I stress over something that is not "designing correct-ness" and hubby just settles it with "Do you like it? Then just go ahead and do it!" heehee! gotta love the voice of decorating reasong :)

~Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Cherry Chick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cherry Chick said...

What a great looking table. It's wonderful that you have "vision" to see what the table would look like with a new coat of paint.

Steph @ Thoughts From Cali said...

I really like the table. Ikea is in the running with Target, I refer to them as temptation island!

Unknown said...

Love it! It looks great in that room with all the other white things. I love white, too. You did a great job on it!

Nancy

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

"crispified"...LOL! Love that term! It looks nice.

Katie Olthoff said...

lol. The chalk dust thing cracks me up. Because as much as I'd like to cover every surface (and a couple walls) with chalkboard paint, hubby was the one who said, "We'll have chalk dust everywhere!" I hadn't thought of that. :)

Your table looks great, though!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin