Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Area rug dilema

I'm in full on living room (Family room/t.v room/ great room) mode right now and I'm trying to cozy it up as cheaply and in the most effective and realistic way that will work for my family. Light carpets aren't the best choice we've ever made in our decorating decisions but at the time I was pregnant with my smallest love bug and the house had broken, falling apart wood flooring. I wanted to get rid of it, and do it fast. I also wanted it to be comfortable and lets be honest, pregnancy hormones make you do crazy things. Off white carpets it was, is.. well now they're more beige. ;) But I've browsed around and decided even though some might hate rugs on carpet, I think it'll help anchor our sectional area and make the coffee table "float" less. Right now area rugs are on sale like crazy! Pier 1 has some 4x6's for 59.00, Lowes has some that aren't as fabulous but are bigger at 5x7 for 25.00! A steal I'd say, when rugs can get pricey and pricey does not work in our house right now.

I'd love to get the prettier one, but it's smaller. So I needed to measure it and see if I could live with it. Want to see how?



Just like the genius women who paint a poster board and live with it on the wall for easy paint testing I just measured our carpet off with my handy tape measure and taped it off. Smaller 4x6, and a little larger 5x7.



This way I can live with it for a few days and see if the smaller one really will drive me bananas or if the large one really is too large for our teeny tiny living room.


Can't wait to show you what one we picked!



16 comments:

Kirsty said...

It looks so bright and cheery! I'm trying to talk my hubs into a white couch, but with three boys and two dogs, it's been difficult! Where's you sectional from? So great!

Tough decision with the rug - good luck with that!

Kelli said...

Good luck with your decision! I can't wait to see which you choose! Have a great day!

Kelli
xoxo
loveoursimplelife.blogspot.com

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Such a great idea. I love it. I also have area rugs on carpet and I really do like how it anchors a seating area. Can't wait to see what you got. Hugs,Marty

Kim's Treasures said...

Great way to figure out which size you'd like the best! Can't wait to see what you've chosen!

So Sunny Day said...

oh good idea :) Looking forward to seeing which you chose!

~Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

~*Hi Rachelle~ I think the larger rug will look wonderful and hide more stains from kiddos!lol.Im sure whichever you choose will look fabulous~*~Rachel ;)

Momma Rhyne said...

As long as you aren't going to put a piece of furniture under the window, I say go big, it will make the room feel bigger. Such a great idea with the tape!!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I know whichever one you pick will be great in your room! :)

Betsy Thompson said...

I love an area rug on carpet. I just feel the need to break things up. We have one in each of our bedrooms. I can't wait to see what you choose!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

We did an area rug on the carpet in one of our homes. I loved it. Helped to define the seating area.

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

We did an area rug on the carpet in one of our homes. I loved it. Helped to define the seating area.

Megan // Honey We're Home said...

I think it's okay to add a rug to carpet- I bet it'll be great. Can't wait to see what you choose!

Lindsey said...

I got a shag carpet from Walmart for super cheap and its on my light colored carpet and is awesome. Everyone compliments it!

Jana said...

Okay my new friend-
I have to tell you about my best friend ever. The Spot Bot. http://www.bissell.com/spotbot-pet-deep-cleaner/ I have tried EVERY carpet cleaner/machine out there and this one is da bomb. Gets EVERY stain out...and doesn't leave a sticky residue for dirt to reappear weeks later. We've had our Doberman pincher since she was a pup (9 years ago) and it has cleaned up everything from bight yellow puke to Mason's poo (the glorious potty training days)on white carpet. I'll never be without one. Had to share. It's that good.

Jana Dover
http://thedailydover.com

Heather said...

You know I've never even thought about an area rug on our carpet, thanks for getting the wheels turning. I popped by to tell you I saw this post and thought of you because of your blog title:
http://moneysavingmom.com/2010/09/what-was-i-just-saying-about-peanut-butter-finger-prints.html

Haha :)
Heather @ www.savingmoneylivinglife.com

Elizabeth said...

Yeah! It looks so bright and cheery! Wonderful! I really like it.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin