Monday, October 18, 2010

Little girls bedroom makeover

How do you like my title? Think google can handle that? ;)

Remember my 2010 to do list? The one I'm close to finishing? Well, the clock is tick-ticking! And, the house isn't selling-- nor are we magically coming up with more room. So, it's time for them to share a room. Most of the time they end up sleeping together anyway, depending on who sneaks out of bed and which bed they end up in, or ours. :) Silly little girls and their musical chairs beds. Out with the polka dot and in with the... It's a secret. Bwahaha.

 Sorry, dark photo, new mac and I'm lost at how to edit photos right now.

  You may already know if you search through my recent posts and see my little sneak peek. It was hard to convince my children that it would look good. My oldest decided recently her new favorite color is purple, and gave permission to my youngest that her's can be pink now. Because, we all know that no two sisters can have the same favorite color. Ahem. But they're slowly but surely starting to agree with me, I think. 




So.. I have to tie their likes in, try and keep the bright plastic toys out and make it "Little girl lives here, and a five year old who thinks shes 13" While keeping it easy to transition if we choose to continue to live here...dun dun dun.. Forever. Do you know what else this means? I'm also transforming the nursery into a playroom. Double decorating duty! I'm thinking of it this way though, making these two rooms work for us is a lot cheaper than our closing costs would be! :)

 Good bye horrible messy pile of books. See you in your new organized home!
At least they're reading right?
Right.

Can't wait to show you what I have in mind! If you have your children share rooms, how's it going? Do you love it, hate it. Is it nice to keep all the toys out of the room and have a designated room for them? Or is it just going to make me go insane because toys will just end up everywhere.

11 comments:

Wendy said...

Rachelle,
We just moved to a smaller home and my 13yr and 8yr old need to share a room! They (for the most part) are enjoying it! They also can't have the same favorite color, but their colors do co-ordinate!! Thank goodness. I think it has brought their relationship closer and they will create memories (good and bad) that will last them a life time!
Good luck. Look forward to reading your future posts!
Wendy
(P.S. the cleaning part is so much easier!)

Unknown said...

We just started our two girls (2 & 4) sharing a room this summer.
We were hesitant, and we've had some bumps, but it's been awesome. They are so happy in there together. The giggles we hear 1/2hr past bedtime are adorable.

TOYS: We removed all toys except stuffies and dress up clothes. They have a bookshelf with books, and a book sling (highly recommend, check out mine http://thebirdspapaya.blogspot.com/2010/08/book-sling.html). Beside their bookshelf there's a bin that serves as a "book drop off" so we do it like a library system. 2 year olds aren't very good at restocking! haha.

GOOD LUCK!! WE love it. Hope you do too!!

Vallimasoos said...

My 4, 2 and 1 yo share a room. It's the best! I will admit one crying kid can wake the others but usually the 1 yo is the one who sleeps through the night. The 4 & 2 yo just come to our room when they wake up.

I totally recommend putting up rain gutter book shelves. They are awesome and for us, they work as a room divider.
http://familyofthevine.blogspot.com/2010/07/rain-gutter-book-shelves.html

Good luck! I can't wait to see how the room turns out!

Unknown said...

We bought a 2 br house (I know, I know, CRAZY!) with the prospect of finishing the second floor and adding another bedroom and a playroom. Kid #2 came along faster than we expected and now we're going to have an 18 month old girl and a 4 month old boy sharing a bedroom in a very small home.

I asked for advice/tips on a shared room in a post, and although it was for a shared toddler room, most of the comments were REALLY helpful. Hope it can help you: http://www.whitehouseblackshutters.com/2010/09/help-me-wednesday-shared-toddler-room.html

Can't wait to see how the finished product looks! Don't keep us waiting toooo long! ;)
-Ann Marie

Momma Rhyne said...

Can't wait to see how it turns out. I think kids should always share rooms, it'll make them best friends, in theory, LOL.
Our 4 year old and 2 year old share a 9x8 room, until my 10 month old is out of our bedroom. Then the boys will be moving to the attic bedroom, 10x13. So I can't wait to see your space saving solutions and design. You rock! HUGS!
http://mommarhyne.blogspot.com

The Pennington Point said...

It's ain't right to tease us like that! All of my kids share rooms too. It's good for them, like broccoli. LOL! You are nice to consider their likes. I just say, "Here are some paint colors Mommy likes, you may pick one," and then I go about fixing up their room however I think is best. They don't get a lot of choices. Like you said, their tastes are going to be opposite just because they can! Looking forward to seeing how you solve this design dilemma. Lisa~

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I'm in the same boat as you! JUST moved our girls in together and can't decide what to do with the toys. :s Had to LOL about them not being able to have the same favorite color...SO true!!! :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I'm in the same boat as you! JUST moved our girls in together and can't decide what to do with the toys. :s Had to LOL about them not being able to have the same favorite color...SO true!!! :)

Unknown said...

I'm pregnant with our third, so our first two will soon be sharing a room, even though they mostly sleep together already. I'm curious as to how your experience goes. I'm hoping to totally rearrange the house. Maybe my nesting is a little out of control. ha

Anonymous said...

Helpful blog, bookmarked the website with hopes to read more!

Unknown said...

I have three little boys that all share a room (8, 5 & 3). We gave the oldest his own room last year and they almost NEVER ended up staying in their own rooms. We moved about a year ago and asked our oldest if he wanted to share again and he emphatically said YES! We love it, and as a homeschooling family, the extra bedroom allows us a school room which I adore! I did a mini-makeover to their room this last week if you'd like to come check it out??

Loving your blog!!!

Danielle
organizationalhysteria.blogspot.com

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin