Monday, January 31, 2011

Birthday Wreath

Look what I made! And, it didn't need a tool to finish it, well-- besides scissors and a glue gun I suppose.

 The birthday wreath.. On, uh..My fridge. Because I needed a white background.

It's best if you just ignore anything in the background of these pictures. Junk on the floor, stains on the couch, vanilla coke? No way I don't drink that stuff... Just um.. Block it out.

I'm kind of a hoarder, so I've been saving the girls' birthday cards since well, day one. And, it was time to cut down on that stash and make them into something that I can keep but also not just in a drawer where no one except me will look at them.



Take your cards and start o' cuttin' em. I got my paper cutters from Joannes @ 40% off, two sizes- Large and extra large. Make sure when you're cutting them you cut out "background" ones, these are the ones that don't neccesarily have faces or cute pictures on them. But you'll need them for the first layer of the wreath. Then, cut out more. And, more....And...more. It's okay if you have extras, you can get rid of the leftovers that aren't so pretty. Even if you shed a tear doing it.



Then cut your wreath form, the easiest way I could do this was to use some cardboard and trace one myself. It wasn't perfect and I'm cool with that.

 You can't really see my wicked good circles can you? Eh, here's a picture of some cardboard then.




To make it easy on yourself put them into piles of 1.)Little fillers 2.)Bigger fillers 3.)Small cute 4.) Bigger cute 5.) Biggest


So when you're trying to glue them on and you have a kid crawling all over you and the t.v is up as loud as it can be and you're ready to scream, you at least know which circle you need.




Start with the outer edges then the inside and then start with the second layer. To make it a little three dimensional I dotted some glue on it and let it dry, then added another dot on top of that so it was higher than the others, get it? Then just fill it up as you wish, adding more glue dots (or my cheap way and glue gun dots) to make it extra fantastic.


The best part is that you can keep filling it up year after year. Think of how excited the kids (and you) will be when it's birthday time and you get to break out the Birthday Wreath!? For THEIR special day.



Loves it.

Linking up to Tatertot and Jellos weekend party, yo! 

And... The Girl Creative

22 comments:

Cara@HomespunKitchen said...

Absolutely ADORABLE!!! I might need to steal this idea!!

Ashley said...

OH EM GEE! I freakin love it. I am SO stealing this idea. I, too, hoard my sons cards. Baby shower, Christmas, Baptism, Halloween, Easter, etc etc. LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea. Thank you so much!

Unknown said...

Eeek! Adorable! I've been telling myself that there was no reason to hang onto things like birthday cards and that I never would miss them. I've painfully been getting rid of them and been proud of myself up to this point. Darn it! What did you do, Rachelle?!?! ;)

Anonymous said...

that was such a great way to use the cards!! If you have a chance I'd love for you to come link up to Handmade Tuesdays at Ladybug Blessings www.ladybug-blessings.com

Queen Bee said...

Very cute!!! I may just have to try that on. Thanks for sharing. I'm new to this blog thing. Stop over and see me sometime. Thanks. The Queen B
http://thequeenbeebee.blogspot.com

Liz said...

What a fabulous idea! I hate throwing out cards, now I have a reason to save them!

Melissa said...

wonderful!I'm a card hoarder too!

Mama Up! said...

LOVE it!

Maybe I'll make one out of the cards the Babby got last year as one more decoration for her party this year. I am a card hoarder. Can't bear to toss them... but hate having them around!

Mama Thompson said...

So cute! and way to go on using the old birthday cards for a purpose...

Unknown said...

This is a darling idea... and clever, too! It is flat, easy to store and update. So cute!

Rhiannon said...

VERY cute idea. I have always kept cards. I still have mine from my first birthday!

Anonymous said...

So cute!!!

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

This is such a cute idea! I really like this. I am going to see if I can find some cards to do this now. Where is my glue gun?

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

What an awesome way to put old cards to use!!! I love this idea to display them. :)

Marie@Procrastinating in Pink said...

I LOVE it! What a great idea! I'm a card hoarder too...I just can't stand to throw them away!

Sweet Little Smoothie said...

Love this! I hoard cards from every occasion ever - what an awesome way to give them new life! Thanks for sharing!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

This is stinkin' adorable! :)

janimal said...

What a GREAT idea! I love this.

~The Bargain Babe from *Zucchini Summer Blog* said...

Love that!

Life in Rehab said...

Now where were ideas like this before my children got to the age where they would die of embarrassment? I love the finished project AND the price tag.

Erica said...

so cute. I have a bunch of christmas cards from the past couple years I have been wondering what to do with. This could put quite a dent in that pile :)

Anonymous said...

Like this idea! A friend of mine has fabric birthday flags - a variety of triangles hanging from a line-you know the type you string around . . . just a thought, but this card idea made me think of combining both - making the flags and adding to them every year - getting them out to decorate when it's someone's bday - could add each family members as ya go or do one for each individual?

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin