Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hallway doors

Remember these dark and dreary things?

Excuse the blurry phone picture, I had to quickly snap one before I forgot. :)


The black was nice, for a while but it really did make the hallway look smaller. It didn't help that the four doors made it look chopped up and closed in. Well that's all fixed now, long lean and bright. I swear it made the ceiling look 10 times higher and at least 5 feet longer. I love it.


It started with a large piece of MDF cut (at Lowes) into two 16x89 inch panels. We bought some plastic trim, Killz oil based primer and some eggshell white in Olympias premium paint with Low VOC.. I figured that if we were using the oil based primer that was MORE than enough VOCs for us to be smelling, and went with that and it was awesome! None of the icky paint smell!




And, I'm sure I'll get a few emails about how horrible oil based paint is and yes I know, I know. But since MDF is basically paper I needed something that would stick and help me avoid 12 coats of the latex paint. I also was covering black on the shelves in the closet and didn't want something that would peel off. In it to win it we were.




We bought black hinges and spray painted the handles with ORB paint. Love them. To make things a little more cohesive in the hall I painted the door handles too, which we decided we'll do to all of them now, slowly but surely. It's not fun taping off all the glass on the knobs. :)



My favorite part? These! Little number plates. I can't tell you how much I love them! It's like little vintage hotel room numbers, super sweet.



We're still going to paint the hallway but we decided to have an electritian come out and help us put in a switch for the light in here. Right now it's on a pull and it's not exactly fun to pull out a step ladder to grab the pull the string to turn on the light. I'm thinking something like this from Lowes.




But once they cut the holes and make room for a switch we'll be able to slap some paint on. Can't wait!

We also finished that nasty trim. It looks SO much better, who knew you could love trim so much?


Linking up to What I whipped up at Sugar and Dots

&

14 comments:

Katie said...

That is some serious painting! Whew! We use oil based paint in our kitchen also. I understand. I'm waiting for spring to paint the ugly paneling just because the oil based is so intense. Gotta open all the windows.

Comeca Jones said...

The little number plates are all I can see sooo fabulous!

Unknown said...

Love it all...doors look beautiful and love the glass door handles.

Megan said...

Very nice! It looks great!

Beth at southernfriedliving.blogspot.com said...

LOVE the number plates...might have to steal that one!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

The white is so much brighter and nicer. I love it! And the little number plates...fab!

Brooke @ Finding Home said...

Where did you find those number plates?!?!?! I must have them!

Tiffany @ithinkicouldmakethat said...

Nice, nice, nice!!!!! Look sooooo much better!

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

You did a beautiful job. I love it all. Where did you find those little number plates? that is a great idea!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

very, very nice. Love the new doors. It does make the area look bigger.

trim looks great too! aren't you glad when you get stuff done that you've been meaning to do for ages? :-)

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Looks so good Rachelle! What a difference paint makes. I love the handles and door numbers too. I know what a lot of work that was and it was so worth it! Great job!


-heather

The Single Nester said...

Looks great and very vintagey and clean!

Kimmie @ Hello Mess said...

LOVES IT. Featuring this tomorrow at Sugar and Dots. Obvs.

michelle said...

Your hallway turned out beautiful! I love the numbers on the doors, that is so cute!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin