Monday, January 3, 2011

To do in 2011

You may recall that last year I did a nice little project list that I wanted to complete in 2010, I'm happy to say most of it was completed, or at least started. Ha.

This year the list has a few new things, some a little annoying for my husband who thinks it's "Fine now the way it is" and some that will only help if and when we decide to put the house back on the market. Shocker I know but my family isn't getting any smaller and this house isn't getting any bigger. :)


1.) Paint the kitchen, add trim to the top of the cabinets and fancy up a backsplash I can live with.

The kitchen right now is fine. It's true, it was an AMAZING budget kitchen that still blows my mind that we could complete it with the funds we had. But it's lacking in personal touches, and I'm sick of the yellow.

2.) Re-paint the hallways, entryway etc. and patch the hallway trim. 

Our hallway is only 6ish feet long. It's the tiniest hallway you'll ever see but it has a serious issue. One that is laughable, and you'll probably stop reading this blog once you realize that we've ghetto-fied our house for so long. But this trim is hard to come by! The previous owners (or maybe the ones before that since Mr. Before us, only lived here a year) left it this way for us and we didn't notice until we went to paint and clean the vent. *Sigh* awesome.



Yeah, they just put a hole in the wall for a vent and set the vent on, no.. Not screwed in.
The dust is all my fault, can't blame them for that though.
This just got awkward.

Annnyway...
I also would like to re-paint the black built in cabinet and add something special to the space I can't wait to show you! 
3.) Finish the girls room/playroom.
We got a big chunk done by painting both rooms one weekend, but we left the ceiling untouched since I have a little trick up my sleeve I'd like to try. Which also includes buying curtains, bedding, and furniture for the playroom. But I already have one piece I'm happy to say has a home thanks to the playroom now. 
4.) Electrical, it's pretty janky. 
I'm embarrassed to say that we've let it go so long. When we first purchased the house we didn't have an inspection done. *Stoooopid* I know. But we were 19, poor and competing with another couple who wanted the house because of course this was before there was a house every corner for sale. And, the owner said he wouldn't pay for any other fixings that needed to be done. Thankfully he paid for the Radon pipe as it was wayyy too high in levels of gas. Whew. But the electrical has given us an uneasy feeling for some time now and instead of going into debt trying to fix it, we can know tackle her and get 'er done. Yeah I know I hate that saying too. 
5.) Basement.
This is our last one, and will only do if we don't sell. If you remember my video then you'll know ther'es just way too much down there to fix and make it affordable. Enough said. It's a last and final option for gaining more space for us to live here. :)


11 comments:

extreme personal measures said...

To some, this may seem like a small list but I know that electrical will be killer!

I posted a list as well.
Stop by and link your list up if you get a moment.

Denise
http://www.extremepersonalmeasures.com/2011/01/new-art-previous-project-and-my-diy.html

Savannah Granny said...

Wow! I am going to sit down and rest. I am tired from reading your to do list. I know you will get them done bucause you did so well last year. Look forward to watching progress.
Hugs, Ginger

Jami Nato said...

we live in a super old house that has knob and tube electrical. it'll be an arm and a leg to fix. yikes. but so worth all the charm and history this house has.

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said...

Ouch! Good luck! It is going to look AMAZING when it is finished!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

oh, baseboards and floor vent type of stuff gets SO banged up and grody!!! There is a big chunk in one of our baseboards that needs to be fixed!!

So Sunny Day said...

Oh I feel your pain on the baseboards-woes! We have rounded corners and the little tips of trim always come off. When we first moved in the pup would find them, run off and chew them up. *sigh* we now have several bare corners.

Hope all your decorating dreams/ goals become a reality in 2011!!!

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Tracy said...

Glad I am not the only one with a list...yours though seems a little more doable than mine, which is just a huge brain dump and way too long..but one never knows! I had to laugh at the ghettofied trim...yep, we have that in places too and is on the list as it gets painted...ugh (love fixing previous owners mistakes!)

Good luck...I will be following along to see your progress. Feel free to stop on over to my blog to check out the monster list http://mamaolie.blogspot.com/2011/01/2011-project-list.html and then my updates throughout the year.

Jessie Saxton said...

I seriously envy your to-do list! I can't wait until we find the perfect fixer-upper. Then I can steal all the great ideas I find in blogland;)

Katie Olthoff said...

Great list - can't wait to see what you do for the backsplash. I'm thinking of doing something, too.

Unknown said...

i like the yellow...but totally understand wanting change! Your husband sounds just like mine!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I'm envious of your basement. There, I said it. ;) And my post today was all about learning to love my house and not be envious of other people. That lasted a long time. ;)

I can't wait to see how you do your girls' room/playroom. I need to take notes. :) I'm visiting from The Nester's Home Goals party today.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin