Monday, March 28, 2011

Gumball Machine Stand Tutorial

Holy guacamole ya'll. This is a good one.


We've had this old gumball machine on the top of our cabinets for..well about three years now. I wanted a vintage theme up there but that got old fast so it just sat there, alone. Wanting me to fix it up and make it gorgeous. So, this weekend I did.

The moment I saw Lindsay's gumball machine (filled with goldfish {squeal}) I knew I wanted mine on a stand. But how!?

Case in point. Lowes.

I purchased a single banister rod (At least I think that's what you call it.. That's what I call it.) and some small corbels. I also took a crappy cell phone pic. Hey, it is what it is.



I spray painted that sucker and glued the corbels to the bottom using wood glue because it's what I had on hand. I would have liked to use screws but mine were all too long and they would have hit each other. Oh well. My kids may or may not swing from this so we'll see how the glue holds up I guess. It wasn't too expensive so I wouldn't be super mad if I had to make it again. Once the glue dried I added another coat of paint to the whole thing.


This is when it gets tricky. I bought the round piece of wood from Hobby Lobby to sit the gumball machine on but I wasn't sure how I would make it stay, kids can be crazy ya know. I didn't want it to be permanent in case I ever got a wild hair to not have it on a stand. But I didn't want to just sit it on it knowing full well someone would bump it and boom..crash..cry. So, I opted for heavy duty velcro.



This way it's good for now, but I always have the option to get it off if I need to. And, better yet. I can get to all the money I'm gonna make from this money maker in our entry way. Cha-ching.




I also thought it looked a little too...new. So I scuffed it up with some distressing ink.



Yes, that's still that one chip of paint that is hanging in there. For all the "get a mani", commenters. I know. I'm lazy, true story.






 LOVE. I filled it with Gobstoppers because they're amazing and I hate gum with a passion. 


I think it's a little tall though, so I'm gonna chop some off. Er.. have my Father do so when he brings his saw over. I don't want to risk any un-evenness with my box saw. :) Not a good time. But, all in all.. I think it's freaking cool as heck.

100000 Points to the person who noticed I painted the entry way again this weekend. Yeah, it's subtle I suppose but I can totally see a difference. Now onto the trim again (hello, black spillage there) and the ceiling and this room will be done. and done. 

There's a few ladies I'll be partying with :)



18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes this is just too darling!! I would of never noticed that tiny little piece of nail polish!

I have never heard anyone say they hate gum!! ha too funny!!

Sweet Little Smoothie said...

This is awesome! What a fun addition to the entryway!

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

This is too cool! Love it!

S
xo

Mama Up! said...

Wow, that's pretty sweet!!

Kirsten @ Mushki Loves said...

Look Great! I want one!

Unknown said...

Turned out great! I would totally DIE if I didn't have gum! I probably chew between 5-10 pieces a day... yes I am a serious gum addict!

Hannah

Jami Nato said...

so cute! look at you, all crafty and what not.

Melanie said...

Rachelle,
You...are...simply...amazing! Always love your ideas and you crack me up, as always! I'd love you to link this up at my Tuesday Time Out Link Party if you have time!


Smiles,
Melanie
Reasons To Skip The Housework
Tuesday Time Out Link Up Party

Becca Bertotti said...

Genious idea !! My kiddo would love this ... may just have to try. Thanks for sharing, *Becca*

www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com

Kelly @ Run With Glitter said...

Very Cute!!!!
I'd love it if you would link up over at the Glitter Party!!!
http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/2011/03/weekly-tues-thurs-link-party.html
xoxo
Kelly

Rachelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

People really leave you comments telling you to get a manicure? Wow.

The gumball machine turned out really cute! My kids would drive me nuts if we had one of these though.

Emily said...

So cute! You are scary good.

I remember that goldfish post too!

Jennifer said...

This is cute! I love distress ink! One of my favorite craft accessories!
Jen
Scissors & SPatulas

The Chalmers Family said...

So cute, when I first saw it, I thought gum yuck (I detest gum too lol) but I love it. Thanks so much for sharing all your fun ideas!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

So cute!! I'm not a fan of gumballs either.

~ Sarah

Anonymous said...

I love your stand you made, but did you know you can still purchase them at J.C.Penney's? They are on sale right now. Yours is really cute though!

Lisa said...

OH I love it! I have a vintage gumball machine too - mine is an ugly green but we still love it!

I am going to show your post to the hubby and see if we can totally copy your stand!

Thanks!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin