Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Quick bathroom art

Thanks for coming by yesterday for Q & A Day, friends! Keep 'em coming (here!) and next week I'll do the answer part.. Woohoo.. Some questions have been quite funny and they 100% made my day, can't wait to answer them.. haha.. Go on over, you know you have a fun one to ask right? Or am I shutting this thing down.... bwahaha.

Okay, enough with that silliness. Since I took on about 100 different projects lately, ie. The girls' bedroom, and playroom, and randomly decided to paint the kitchen, finish the hallway (woohoo! The electrician is here today!! New light WITH a switch, yes please!) and finishing the entryway. That's quite a list, but I get bored easily and seem to be saying to myself, "I'll just add one more thing, here." 'Twitch, I did. I did add one more thing. Which will lead to another.. And, another.. 

Right..the thing, which I added. 

What do you do when you see the PERFECT tablecloth on a blog and fall in love with it 100 times over and RUN to your Target only to find out they don't carry it anymore.

Bummer. 

You go to ebay and pay 3 times as much. But it's love. And, really it seemed affordable at 14.00 a pop, it was 20 something when it was at Target I believe.. But the 14.00 comes with a price, a shipping price. 10.00 bucks. So, 24.00 for a table cloth, finnnne I really wanted it, and in a minute it'll sound cheaper than it was. ha.


I cut that sucker up. 
Yup my pretty table cloth, cut it up.

But there's a method to my madness, and I'll show you right now. Take your mat and figure out which image you want to show, and then pull it up a bit so you can have enough room to make pencil marks that will be hidden under your mat, and give you enough room to tape the fabric to the back.





Once you cut it out, tape and stretch! But not so stretched that your image is wonky. Makes total sense right? Right.. Hope so! A good blogger would have taken a picture of this part.. I didn't.. Feel free to take my status away and give me my rookie card back.

 Here's where the magic happens.

You see, I had this big spot on my bathroom that needed something and if you watch portlandia, you know exactly what it needed.



Put a bird on it.


 I didn't even iron them. I was too excited when it came yesterday in the mail. If you do this, please iron it. If I get a burst of energy I'll take them down and iron them, but they were kind of a b-word putting them up, so I'm not sure if I want to waste 4 more hours of my life just getting them to GO on the HOOK! Which is what I was yelling at it yesterday. Why so difficult? Gah.

Let's just hope the steam from the shower smooths it on out. ;) That's the best part of this, if it gets ruined, I have plenty more birds to choose from with my 70 inch fabric and they weren't too expensive. I put another fella above the toilet but it's horrible to photograph so, don't judge.


So, for 24.00 (+14.95 for the third frame let's not count that, ha.) that's not too bad If you figure I got three prints out of it that's only 8.00 pc. And I have a ton more fabric, so I could make a pillow, or shirt even. ha. What wouldn't look better with a bird on it, right?

There you have it, that's my little addition in the bathroom. Now I think it needs a bath rug, and something on the little table next to it. Here we go again.

*Winks* Happy Tuesday Friends! 


Joining Beth's Tutorial Tuesday party, with my rookie tutorial. :)

And, the Before and After party at TDC!
Oh Oh! And, birds mean spring.. spring means SPRING FLING! :)
SAS day too.. ;)

36 comments:

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

I absolutely love that! I couldn't believe you were cutting up that brand new tablecloth but the finished product is stunning and like you said, you can make more 'stuff' out of it. GREAT Job!

jillian sara said...

I love this idea!

Could you tell me where you purchased the frame?

Jillleaming@gmail.com

Chris said...

That is so very creative! I am not very fond of birds but I have to say I really like that fabric-I mean, table clothe. lol :) Great job! Chris

Melissa N. said...

Love it....creative and affordable for sure!

KellyH said...

Just Lovely!

Jami Nato said...

when i read the title "bathroom art" i figured you were going to talk about pee on the wall. but this is much (MUCH) better. and cuter. love it..

Jaime S. said...

I was just wondering what to do in my own bathroom, I'll have to keep a look out for fabric that I can use in my own bath redo. Thanks for the idea it looks so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I just bought a different table cloth to do the EXACT samething! Target had some of these in the clearence endcap section. Hate to tell you, they were $4.98. But that doesn't matter, you have gorgeous birdy art!Still totally worth it!

Unknown said...

How bout you just ship up some of that pretty tablecloth scraps leftover to your friend up north? For realsies. I wahhhnt it.

Shall I grovel?

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

Ha! I love this; totally adorable!

Sue
xo

Kelly said...

Very cute! I need to do this or something like it since I have 3 bathrooms with totally naked walls. I say go for making the rest into pillows! they would be so cute:) or maybe even a little runner for your dining room...

Katie @ Newcomb Home said...

So cute! And I'm impressed, I don't know if I'd have the guts to cut up a tablecloth I just bought :)

I found your blog from Beth's link party - your ideas are great and I love your sense of humor (and Portlandia reference). If you have time to check out two Portlanders stumbling through house renovations please visit my blog! Hopefully we only live up to some of the stereotypes, ha!

Homeschool on the Croft said...

What a fabulous idea. Oh to have the imagination of my fellow-bloggers.
oh well, we can dream...x

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I don't use tablecloths...ever so cutting one up to use somewhere else is an awesome thing! They look beautiful and I love how you framed them with all white.

Momma Rhyne said...

LOVE it. Also love that Put a bird on it video.. so true but so funny!!
Bathroom looks gorgeous!

Jo-Anna@APrettyLife said...

Love them! They look great!
Jo-Anna

Jessie Saxton said...

What a fab idea! I am so loving the bird craze. I am thinking of trying to attempt some PB knock-off bird art in my daughter's room. We'll see... Yours looks awesome.

Peter George said...

It came out great! I'm in the market for bathroom art and I love this idea! Off to find fabric!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Rachelle,
This is darling project. YOur little birds are so sweet! I love the clean look of the mat and frame with the bright touches on the little birds.
I'll remember this project. I could use it for so many things!
Yvonne

nest of posies said...

this is FABULOUS!

putting a bird on it---is my theme for the month! ;)

fantasic results with that beautiful fabric.

love the colors of your bathroom too!

thanks for linking up to the SPRING FLING!

kellie

Unknown said...

Hey Dude- Was up! THAT CRACKED ME UP!

love it! SO DARN CUTE AND SWEET! winks-jen

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Very cute! And the video was awesome! I think the steam will take the wrinkles out, don't take them down.

BeingBrook said...

Love that little Portlandia clip. I've watched it multiple times which probably makes me a big dork. In this case I think putting the bird prints look cute in the bathroom. Just don't be getting birds in vinyl and attaching them to the toilet. That might be overkill!

Kristen @ Who's Watching the Baby? said...

I read this post earlier on my phone, and am now coming back SPECIFICALLY to tell you how much I love this. And that it's possible that I gave vinyl toilet birds about 4 serious seconds of consideration, because I just unpacked my Silhouette that came in the mail today (!!!), and I can't decide what to make... so I thought maybe I should just put a bird on it.

Meagan At Fairly Fabulous said...

LOVE this project- and yes- you can totally use every inch of that fabric. Oh the possibilities are endless! Love the birds. fun, vintage edge

extreme personal measures said...

I cannot tell you how much I am loving this! They turned out great and I scheduled a feature of it for this morning Extreme Personal Measures.

Denise
Extreme Personal Measures

Melanie said...

Rachelle,
You crack me up! Seriously, you are my favoritest {yes, made up!} blogger! As Sugar and Dots said, your texts make her pee - I totally get it! You are so fun to read - and you're so good at what you do! These birdies are hilarious, although I'm sure that a laugh in the bath isn't what you were going for, but after watching that Portlandia clip, now I think the birds are just a crack up! Found this bird art and thought of you!

http://www.bluecricketdesign.net/2010/08/pretty-bird-wall-art.html

Thanks for making me laugh each and every day!

Smiles,
Melanie
http://reasonstoskipthehousework.blogspot.com
skipthehousework@hotmail.com

Ange said...

Rachelle,
I'm loving me some birds right now. I am not horrified that you cut up a shower curtain, I'm loving it! They look great and I would not have ironed/steamed or anything else but would've just slapped it all together because I am impatient. Which usually gets me into some sort of trouble, well kind of often. ;) Looks fabulous!!!

Erika . . . with a K said...

I love this idea, awesome!!!

Erika . . . with a K said...

I love this idea, awesome!!!

the cape on the corner said...

love that, that's a great idea! i am trying this with napkins, too!

Julie said...

I now have an idea for next fall vause I bought a few fall themed tableclothes...(too many!)....i may do some seasoal type pictures for cheap!
juliesfreshperspectives.blogspot.com

Kimmie @ Hello Mess said...

Me: Hey Dude.

You: 'Sup?

Me: Paint your nails and THEN put a bird on it.

P.S. See you tomorrow.

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Fab idea! The birds are really cute!

The Bentons said...

Love your paint color! Would you mind telling me the color and who makes it.

Mama Teaching 3 said...

I have that table cloth in my closet because I bought it for about three bucks at target I believe...three or six dollars. It was a long time back...but I had to have it. HA HA...

I love what you did with it. I don't want to cut mine up! Wah!!! Why did you have to make it look so great?

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin