Monday, April 11, 2011

How to add a shade to a ceiling fan tutorial.

How about a ridiculously easy tutorial for the day? Yes?! I thought so too. I'm still tired from the mini vacation this weekend, gotta keep it easy today.
*wink* 
Too far? :)

So we had a very u-g-l-y fan in the playroom. White, one light, very standard and blah.


*Imagine a before picture..here.*

I wanted something with a little more pizazz and searched lots of tutorials online but they ALL needed a fan with two lights so you could screw a rod/finale into the fan to attach your shade too.  Young house love did it a few times. Did you hop over and see what I mean? Yeah, mine couldn't uh..do that. So I used my thinker.. and thunk some more.

And. BAM.

Thanks to my Secret Santa at work this year I had a handy dandy little tool bag that had some wire in it. I wrapped it around the prongs? arms? metal part.. yes.. the metal part of the shade, like so.


Then made sure it was all semi-even and just stuck it right on the screws that had formally held the old globe in place.




See how freakin' easy that was? I KNOW. Imagine all the awesome shades you can put up now! Awesome. It's not super pretty from below, but no one will be looking right up at it, since the kiddy table is below.

Yes, I'm aware there isn't an after picture. You have to wait till tomorrow. Because..the room..is.. DONE! :) Yay!  How about a sneak though?

Wanna see the whole room?





15 comments:

Kristen @ Who's Watching the Baby? said...

Can I say how much I smiled at the thought of you standing way up on a chair or whatever to get a pic of those screws from the top?

It looks great! I can't wait to see the whole room!

Meagan At Fairly Fabulous said...

ooooo...love, love, love the sneak peek! can't wait til tomorrow. so when are you coming here to finish all my 'works in progress'? Can't wait for your inspiration- I can already tell this room is FAB-ulous.

Meagan At Fairly Fabulous said...

oh- and please tell me the fan blades were not spinning when you were actually installing your cutie shade...

Unknown said...

BRILLIANT! I love you for this idea and can not wait to do this project like today! Thank you!

Heather said...

that may be a ridiculously easy tutorial but even better, it is just ridiculously brilliant! I want to try that on every fan in our house now! Looking forward to seeing the full reveal.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a super idea. I love it. Hugs, Marty

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

You're such a tease! I can't wait!

Homeschool on the Croft said...

can't wait to see the whole lot, because the sneak preview sure whetted my appetite..

Selina@CreativeJuicesDecor said...

Ah, so much suspense!! Can't wait to see it tomorrow. I LOVE easy tutorials. Thanks for stopping by my blog :-) If you ever wanted to link (feature) that map feel free ;-)

Katie said...

This is SO great! What a great idea!

Kathie said...

Saw this on Tip Junkie, brilliant idea!

Jami Nato said...

sneak peaks are rude! i want it all! ha

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Thanks! I have been looking for something to do with ceiling fans! We have to have them because we are addicted to the air flow! I just hate the look. This might help. Can't wait to see the finished product. I am now a new follower waiting with baited breathe!
Come visit me!
dreaming-n-color.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Rachelle, I specifically came over because of the little comment you left at thrifty chick about your ghetto shade project. I was loved it. I think you did great. I don't have a fan, but two weeks ago, I put a drum shade up on my ceiling light, and it is definitely not as perfectly put together as hers, or yours but I love it, and it works. :)

Remodelaholic said...

This looks so cute, I love the shade! I was wondering if you wanted to come and do a guest post about this at Remodelahoic. Let me know, and I will send you the details!

Thanks, Cassity

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin