Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Playroom

 Aka. Longest post ever. 

Woohoo! It's time it's time! I'm finished, and it's lovely. I've been waiting to get this room together for-ev-er it seems and it all started with the ABC prints from Land of Nod.



They're vintage looking (love) they have great primary colors, good for a boy or a girl room (love) and at 30.00 they're super reasonable for the set (LOVE) I put them on the long wall to add some length to the room, and to help anchor all the crazy patterns and primary colors I had in mind for accessories. I figured if the BIG pop was on the wall, it would tie everything together. It does..it does.


You know I went out on a limb with the curtains, I still adore them. Modern graphic print and all.



The bins came from Target, I thought about using fabric bins but they were 6.99 a pop and these looked a lot more like vintage locker baskets and they were a buck cheaper. I'm all about saving. The only bad part about them is when the girls throw their ceramic tea set in them, being metal and all.. But um.. My girls wouldn't do that.. no way. ;)


The crates came from an antique store in my town. They were 5.00 a pop and they're perfect for books, the coloring accessories and a little stuffed animal or two. I thought the room needed a little height to balance out the long Target shelf, and the Land of Nod cards, so the crates seemed like a great bookshelf, I have another crate but I'm living with just two for now, I like the third for the height but then the lamp was way too high up there. Ah, whatev.



The closet is one of my favorite parts of the room! It's teeny tiny so even when it was little lovies room there wasn't much she could do with it. But it's PERFECT for a dress up closet! Their collection is still growing so everything fits for now. I also picked up two 10.00 shelves from Target (sensing a theme here?) and stacked them for a little built in love. Some dollar store baskets and dress up shoes and it's just right. I used a white twin flat sheet that I had (the girls don't use them) as a little door, for some flair, the lovely tie backs. Whoop whoop, a little more tiles in grass love.

A little yellow clock for some charm- Target 3.99



PLAY letters, you remember those..right?



The table and chairs are from Ikea (Kritter set) and the rug is two 3x4 rugs from Target. I didn't want to spend 100.00 on a rug that may or may not get ruined by crayon, paint etc.. so I picked up these two for 12.00 pc good enough for me.


The chair and I... are an issue. I had a moment of ghettoness last year and picked up a GREAT wicker chair on the side of the road. Yeah I know, don't judge. It was free..and huge..and loverly. But, I couldn't get the paint to stick to that sucker for the life of me. I think maybe the wood was rotting. Which makes me sad. Don't tell me how I could fix it now, it's already trashed. For now, I have an extra dining room chair in here until I find something else I like. Boo, I know.


The awesome canvas came from Easy Canvas prints and you'll be hearing about them soon! I paired it with some prints that the lovely Jen Badalamenti took last fall. The colors were perfect for the space. I used a few free printables and some more letters from Hob Lob and we have quite the gallery wall.

Another few details that I'm crazy about...

The ceiling fan all jazzed up.

Lamp Target (duh.) with some teal and green ribbon on the shade.



Random Jars with pretty vintage fillers (Blocks, Scrabble tiles, game pieces)



Perfect Pillows all from Etsy shops. I love the mix of colors and patterns with them. They work, at least I think they do. I'm 90% crazy though..10% genius. ;)





So.. there you have it. Any questions go ahead and leave it in the comments and I'll try to answer it as best I can. Oh, and no.. Target didn't ask me to buy their entire store but.. if they choose to ask me. I totally plan on taking them up on it. Just to forewarn you. :)

Oh! And, the ceiling isn't totally done. But, for "promise to post about it" purposes, I showed it off anyway. We plan on adding a faux crown molding trim so there isn't a line of paint separating the wall color and the ceiling. Silly ol' round walls.


Hangin' out at HOH ;)
And, Just a Girls
And, Jen at TTAJ
And Frugal Friday at Wendy's!
And, Amanda's!
Don't forget Lorie at BDAN 
 320 Sycamore is having a partay!
And Thrifty's Before and After party 
Shanty Sisters too!
DecorChick! Is having an anything goes party :)
 Favorite post of 2011

63 comments:

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

Great job on the room! Did you paint the pic frame under the lamp? If so, what color is that? I love the house pillow in front! Hopefully, I will know the feeling of getting a room done around here one day!

Brandi Marchbank said...

ummm LOVE it!

Michell @ Girl In Air said...

Oh it looks darling!! My son's room has the same ceiling and I'm debating how to decor and paint it..

Rachelle said...

Thank you! I always try to email you back, but you don't have your comment reply set up. :(

I didn't paint it, it's from Target and I believe it was 4.99. They had lots of pretty colors to choose from, and matching piggy banks!

Camilla said...

I love the playroom. I have the same ABC cards in my baby nursery strung on ribbons as a border across the top of the wall next to the ceiling. So cute! I love your whole room put together!

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

What a perfect playroom! I've always loved those alphabet cards from LON too.They look great up on the wall. I can see them playing school (um..where's the chalkboard Mom?..haha jk). Love all the personal touches, photos and vintagey/funky vibe it's got goin' on!

Emily said...

Awesome room! Where did you get your curtain fabric? Sorry I missed the post - I love the pattern!
Emily

Homeschool on the Croft said...

What a delightful room.... stuff dreams are made of ;)

Jenny said...

What a perfect playroom! I know my daughter would go crazy for a room like this! I love it too - well done!

Unknown said...

It is perfect! I love it! Too cute and I am so going to borrow some of your ideas. :)

KATIES MOM said...

Rachelle,

It's beautiful! Everything ties in perfectly! I bet the girls just LOVE playing in there!! You did such a nice job! It made me catch my breath when I saw the family photo wall!! It's LOVELY!! Can't wait to see what you do in the girls room!

Mama Thompson said...

It looks fantastic! I am dragging my feet in doing my little ones play room/area...but you have inspired me:) LOVE all the green!

www.gallamorewest.com said...

Gorgeous AND functional... I LOVE it!! I'm your newest follower!
xo,
Laurie :)

jengd said...

That looks FABULOUS!

Kathy said...

It is soo gorgeous!! Perfect balance of color and vintage and functional and so PLAYFUL!!!

Rhonda said...

This is phenomenal! I REALLY wish we had a playroom. I may consider moving our 2 oldest kids into a combined bedroom to give them a playroom in the future. They always end up playing in the same room anyway!

Kimmy said...

It's fantastic!!! I absolutely LOVE it all!

Unknown said...

this is CRAZY fantastic.
You should be PROUD PROUD PROUD!!

Girl, you've done well! KUDOS!! Your girlies are so lucky to have such a great space....even if it only stayed looking that great until the pictures were doing being snapped :)

Lady J said...

I love the room! Wish we had a playroom...I'd do it up with Target pillows & brick-a-brack, too! :)

I tried to paint my white wicker chairs, too. The paint flaked right off...I'll try one more time this summer and seal the paint, and give it up if it does it again.

SUPER ROOM!!!

Mama Up! said...

Those pillows are so cute! I love the little one :)

Amy Anderson said...

It's so neat and pristine in the pics. Is the room trashed yet? ;-)

http://alittlenosh.blogspot.com

Aimee said...

LOVE your playroom... really love it!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Is it possible to be in love with a room? ;) You did a remarkable job, Rachelle! I still love the window treatments, and the pillows are awesome. Love the "look at the stars" printable...have that song in my head now. ;)

Meagan At Fairly Fabulous said...

Wow! It turned out so incredible. The pillows totally work- and look amazing. ALl those colors make me want to rethink my whole living room thought. I wasn't thinking the green would work with the red, blue, and yellow combo I was going with, but your green curtains and rug look just perfect with all the patterns and colors your chose. I'm going back for a third look- I can't get enough.

Simply Jessabells said...

Wow, your children's playroom is beautiful!! My kids would have been jealous if they were still young. I like that you made the room very warm, inviting and pleasant to look at. You could have little boys over to play and they wouldn't feel like they are in a girls playroom. Beautiful, truly.

Jessica

Jami Nato said...

toats adorbs!

Tara Cole said...

Wonderful, great colors and design elements. Very fresh & fun!!

Adrienne & Lisa said...

Rachelle,

Our pillows look great! Thanks so much for including us! We love the room!

Adrienne and Lisa
www.pickfair.etsy.com

Stephanie @ henry happened said...

Great job! I love the words on the wall & the reading corner. So cozy!

-Stephanie
henry happened

HALLELUJAHS BY HOLLY said...

Absolute LOVE this room! Way to go!

Blessings,
Holly
http://hallelujahsbyholly.blogspot.com

A said...

LOVE IT

Dragonfliez Made said...

LOVE LOVE the room!
You did a great job.
I especially love all the colors they blend very well together.

Anonymous said...

you always make it look easy!!! looks great! i know your girls love it

Sailing with bare feet said...

Love all these pictures !!! So many good idea's for when I have kids !! Super cute!


http://sailingwithbarefeet.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

This is so fantastic. So much inspiration as I am heading into making our son a big boy room! Beautiful job.

Abby said...

Love all the color! The ABC's are too cute!

Amy@ServingPinkLemonade said...

LOVE your playroom! How fun is that? I love the colors you chose. It's fun yet classy. I want to go decorate our playroom now . . .

Carla's Cards said...

Great ideas for room designs!

Anonymous said...

Love all these ideas, I really want to makeover my sons playroom.

Ashley C. said...

Great playroom! Where did you get the curtains? I would love some graphic curtains like that and would love to see other colors!

Lovely Little Nest said...

SO cute! Love the little white table and chairs, and those green curtains are fabulous! :)

KellyH said...

Fantastic! I love it.
PS I came over from Thrifty Decor Chic cuz I saw your coment about her Ceiling Fan fix up. Yours is definitely not more Ghetto-y! HA! Looks Great!

Jessica Shivers said...

What an amazing playroom! We turned our basement into a playspace for the kids a few years ago, but your pics make me want to redo it! I love the dress up closet, and the big letters on the wall. Definitely going to find some letters like that, great idea :-)

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Sooooo precious!! Love it -- the colors are fantastic. You created such a sweet space!

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

You have been featured at my Hookin Up with HoH #45 party!

Grab a button and tell the world!

Would you mind helping to spread the word about my blog to your friends and followers? I would really appreciate the support!

Thanks so much!!

Allison @ House of Hepworths

PS I LOVE your new blog layout!!!!!!!

Katie said...

I may have commented already BUT I'm back and had to say again how much I love this room! It's simplicity is beautiful. The colors you chose are perfect and I am in love with the fan shade! My husband and I recently bought a house and will be closing on it soon and we have fans in every bedroom--I'll give you one guess what my project will be ;) Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing this darling room. Love it!

Katie@ Little Things Bring Smiles

The Starr Family said...

The fabric, the colors, the FUN factor OH MY! What a perfectly adorable room!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! I love it all but especially the curtains! Would you mind letting me in on where you got them?? They would go great in my living room! Thanks!

Brooke @ Inside-Out Design said...

I love it!! It is adorable AND stylish!!! Love the giant alphabet cards! The green rug and curtains are beautiful. Great job!!

Unknown said...

Popping in from one of the linky parties - not sure which one, but..
Looks like a fun room!

Danya said...

Love this playroom!! Such a great, creative space! I would love to have a playroom (eventually) for the little ones. I love your rug idea. I need a rug for the nursery (our last one got ruined) and have been thinking the same thing. Looks great in your room!!

Stopping by from Amanda's party!

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

WOW!!! The playroom is beautiful! Love the colors and the ABC's prints too! Awesome job! Visiting from Amanda's party.
Have a Happy Easter.
Veronica

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Girl, you know I'm in love with this adorable room. I can't decide what my favorite feature is. I do love the alphabet on the wall...so cute. :)

Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. (and for linking back!! luv ya!) Happy Easter! :)

Sarah said...

So perfect! I am in the midst of a playroom re-do myself. We are going with green and blue to keep it neutral! I have to get to Target!!!

lifewithleahy.blogspot.com

Delightful Order said...

I am in the middle of my upstairs playroom re-do too!! I do have a play-closet under the stairs on the main level of my home, which I finished last fall. Pop over and take a look if you'd like. Love yours - too cute!
DaNita

Olga said...

I would love to play in that rooms. It's so pretty. I see a trip to Target in my near future.

Olga said...

This room makes me want to play. It's so pretty. I see a trip to Target in the near future.

Ches said...

I love everything about this space especially your fabric choices. Playrooms are fun to decorate I look forward to having one, one day.

Melissa said...

Rachelle~wow! I love the fabric, especially on the window (do you happen to know the name? I saw the link, but wasn't sure which one it was...) The alphabet cards are to die for~so darn cute!

❤ Mrs. Sinyan ❤ said...

I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS ROOM, VERY NICE, NEAT CREATIVE AND FUN!

terawilliams said...

Love it. I want to come and play with your little ones in this room !!!

Karen Wall said...

I have those same alphabet cards and have tried several things to get them to hang on my walls, but they never stay for long. What did you use? I would love to get them up on my walls too!

Unknown said...

Adorable! I just pinned this cute room! New follower and FB fan! Have a great week! :) xo, Reannah

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin