Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Guest Post from Amanda from Kuzak's Closet!

Hi! I'm Amanda from Kuzak's Closet.  I am a professional organizer living in the San Francisco Bay Area with my husband and our little pooch named Harper.  I started my blog at the end of 2009 where I share my latest recipe, organizing advice, fashion tips, and tons of before and afters.


I love to help my clients organize spaces within their home like closets, kitchens, bathrooms, children's rooms and much much more.  Today I want to share how I organize my makeup with velcro but before I get to that I wanted to give you a taste of what my blog is all about...


Day in the Life Posts (Moving Day with a Client)
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjRgbvWrqGYMPyOc3iEHyXCeUL9OChBtepAbeVue_LZGk5EOF0Xz-GrWKOBNnqS4gO7t079f4NBSpVDy_eml6YI4PIJccSTIJK8gAaHr7OercZMcIQx6YAMoHGWShNLhaHY7EozeGlm2lNC/s1600/DSC00736.jpg
DIY Projects (Easy Fall Wreath)



Organize Your Makeup With Velcro

Velcro is my #1 tool when it comes to organizing my makeup.  In the house we are living in I am lucky to have a lot of drawer space in the bathroom vanity so I set up an easy to use makeup drawer.  You could also set something up in a cabinet. All you need is velcro and inexpensive containers.

Walmart carries white drawer organizers in packs of 3 for only $0.99 so I picked up about six sets in a few different sizes. I like these because they are inexpensive and if they get yucky you can throw them in the dishwasher. You can find velcro in any craft department, I like to use the velcro dots because they are perfectly sized and precut.

Measure out the drawer and plan where you want the organizers to go before you use the velcro, once the velcro is attached to the drawer it is not easily removed. Once you have each drawer mapped out, place both of the velcro pieces to the bottom of the organizer. The bottom of the velcro once it is attached should be sticky, once it is applied, firmly place them in the drawer. Doing it this way you can guarantee your velcro dots match up. After they are attached you can pull the organizers out at anytime and then simply reattach the velcro when you put them back. 


See the velrco on the bottom of the bin and on the bottom of the drawer...



I also like to line my drawers to add a bit of pizazz!  This is a junk drawer from my client's house 
that I turned into a little piece of makeup heaven, isn't it pretty!
The Lifespan of Makeup...
It is important to sort through your makeup every month to get rid of the products you are no longer using and toss products that are out of date. If you are wondering how long you should keep products around, here is a guide I use...
  • Mascara : Every 3 months.
  • Eyeliner: 1 year unless you use it with water, then it should be tossed after 6 months.  Be sure to sharpen your pencils after each use to keep them clean.
  • Foundation: If you use your fingers to apply it every 6 months, if you use a sponge every 12 months.  Remember to wash your sponge out each week and replace it every three weeks.
  • Cleansers & Moisturizers:  Most of these products contain fatty acids which means they should be thrown out after 6 months.
  • Nail Polish: Every 12 months, remember to store it in a cool dry spot.  The best place is actually the fridge.
  • Blush: Every 6 months.
  • Makeup Brushes need to be washed every 2-3 months.
  • Concealer: Up to a year.
  • Eyeshadow and Pressed Powder: 2 years.
  • Lipstick: 2 years if stored in a cool place.
  • When in doubt sniff it out!  If you don't remember how old something is try smelling it, if it smells funky you know it is time to replace it.
  • The clock on your makeup begins when you open it.  I suggest storing a sharpie in your makeup drawer so you can write the date you started using on the bottom.
  Thank you so much Rachelle for having me guest post!  Fingerprints on the Fridge is one of my favorite blogs for inspiration and I always look forward to seeing what you all are up to on Feature Yourself Friday so keep up the good work!  

Yay! Thank you so much Amanda! You rock! 

9 comments:

Comeca Jones said...

Great tips for the makeup bin.

Katie Perdue said...

What a helpful post- Organization is always hard with makeup I think, and those guidelines for how long something lasts are a huge help- time to clean out the makeup bag today!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I am going to go get in my velcro stash and do this right now! I totally have bins shifting around in my drawer!

Anonymous said...

1000 facebook likes
buy facebook likes

http://www.visualizing.org/visualizations/egypt-influence-network http://www.crowdedhouse.com/news/vote-best-crowded-house-live
get facebook likes 1000 facebook likes buy facebook likes
I do a system restore or reboot, whatever its called? Because I do virus scans, I cleaned out any unwanted programs and it is still slow! I was thinking if I restored my computer back to the "out of box" state it will make it faster? I know i'll lose everything but thats the whole point.

facebook likes buy facebook likes [url=http://1000fbfans.info]buy facebook likes [/url] buy facebook likes

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for having my guest blog today! I am glad your readers enjoyed my Velcro tips! Have a great week!

audrey said...

so, i ruined your perfect 2300 follower number...i'm 2301. i feel kind of bad. but not. love your blog! i'm jami nato's little sister so i'm sure you'll love me since you love james so much...bam! i'm in right?

Tanya Anurag said...

'Lifespan of makeup' is so helpful. I guess it's time for me to dig into my makeup stuff and throw out most of it. Thanks for sharing.

-Tanya
http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/

Jackie said...

I love this idea. I would have never thought to use the velcro tabs to hold the baskets in place. Great tip.

Erica said...

Love the makeup bin tips! Thanks!

affordable medical insurance

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin