Hi! I'm Amanda from Kuzak's Closet. I am a professional organizer living in the San Francisco Bay Area with my husband and our little pooch named Harper. I started my blog at the end of 2009 where I share my latest recipe, organizing advice, fashion tips, and tons of before and afters.
I love to help my clients organize spaces within their home like closets, kitchens, bathrooms, children's rooms and much much more. Today I want to share how I organize my makeup with velcro but before I get to that I wanted to give you a taste of what my blog is all about...
Walmart carries white drawer organizers in packs of 3 for only $0.99 so I picked up about six sets in a few different sizes. I like these because they are inexpensive and if they get yucky you can throw them in the dishwasher. You can find velcro in any craft department, I like to use the velcro dots because they are perfectly sized and precut.
Measure out the drawer and plan where you want the organizers to go before you use the velcro, once the velcro is attached to the drawer it is not easily removed. Once you have each drawer mapped out, place both of the velcro pieces to the bottom of the organizer. The bottom of the velcro once it is attached should be sticky, once it is applied, firmly place them in the drawer. Doing it this way you can guarantee your velcro dots match up. After they are attached you can pull the organizers out at anytime and then simply reattach the velcro when you put them back.
- Mascara : Every 3 months.
- Eyeliner: 1 year unless you use it with water, then it should be tossed after 6 months. Be sure to sharpen your pencils after each use to keep them clean.
- Foundation: If you use your fingers to apply it every 6 months, if you use a sponge every 12 months. Remember to wash your sponge out each week and replace it every three weeks.
- Cleansers & Moisturizers: Most of these products contain fatty acids which means they should be thrown out after 6 months.
- Nail Polish: Every 12 months, remember to store it in a cool dry spot. The best place is actually the fridge.
- Blush: Every 6 months.
- Makeup Brushes need to be washed every 2-3 months.
- Concealer: Up to a year.
- Eyeshadow and Pressed Powder: 2 years.
- Lipstick: 2 years if stored in a cool place.
- When in doubt sniff it out! If you don't remember how old something is try smelling it, if it smells funky you know it is time to replace it.
- The clock on your makeup begins when you open it. I suggest storing a sharpie in your makeup drawer so you can write the date you started using on the bottom.