Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Home-made Christmas gift part two!

I'm back with another from the heart Christmas gift, woo-to-the-hoo right? Right!

This one is a little more expensive than the fridge board, but it's ohsogood.

First things first, you need this.



Obviously you could get any brands you want but these are my personal favorites


*side note I actually didn't use the pudding. I remembered seeing on pinterest about putting chocolate pudding in hot chocolate mix to make it extra delish, but then I couldn't find the pin and wasn't sure how much to put in. Second guessing myself wasn't fun so I skipped it.

Cost breakdown was really affordable.

2.00 for the box of candy canes and I only ended up needing 5 of them, I have a whole box left! 
2.00 for the jar, Hobby Lobby has glass 50% off right now! If you decide to get it when it's not on sale it's still only 4.00-- good deal right there.
5.00 cocoa mix from Target
1.99 chocolate bar..I'm partial to Dove so you could get a cheaper kind or go all out and get some Godiva.. Yum.

Put your candy canes in a plastic bag and crumble them up. I had a helper do it for me, a tiny hammer and a cutting board.




While she's making tiny slivers of delicious peppermint, it's time to cut up your chocolate. Take 2/3rds of it and leave the rest for later. Because, well you'll want to eat it. Trust me.


Take your giant murder scene looking knife and chop up your chocolate. It's easier if it's room temp, mine wasn't and I had to let it warm up a bit from the fridge.


Then layer it. Cocoa powder, chocolate and peppermint.



Glorious. 


There you have it! Super affordable, cute and yummy. You could one up a notch and give it with some mugs and a spoon.


*Second note* It'd also be really cute to add another layer of marshmallows if you like those in your hot chocolate, I personally dig the whip cream so I opted out of that, but while I was making these I thought it would also be equally as delicious to do a white chocolate version, yes? Yes. Think about it! And, one more. Don't fill it up quite to the top, leave a little room so they can shake it up so the chocolate and pepper mint are equally distributed when they get it. It tastes better that way but isn't as pretty. ;)

Want to see Christmas gifts part one? Check it out here

Linking up to the Weekend Wrap up Party!

13 comments:

Danielle said...

This is so awesome! Thank you for sharing!! I laughed my way through your comedic relief! :) love it!

Chrissy said...

This looks so yummy and super cute in the jar!! Thanks for sharing!!

Mariaelena said...

very nice...thx for sharing your great idea!...will be using it for sure...xo, Mariaelena

Simply Tasheena said...

Great gift idea! Thanks for sharing.

~Mrs. Delightful
ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Ooh! Love this idea!!! It does look very pretty in the glass canister!

BethElderton said...

What a great gift! BTW--if your candy canes are individually wrapped, you can hang them on the tree as ornaments so that visiting kids can have a treat from the tree.

Anonymous said...

This is a perfect Christmas/Winter gift. I only have one question...how do you make it turn into hot chocolate?

Lauren @ mercy(INK) said...

LOVE easy, sweet gifts! Thanks so much for sharing :)
blessings to you!

Lauren @summitstreetjoy.com

Laura Everyday Edits said...

your photos are beautiful. What is your secret? love them
laura@imnotatrophywife.com

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

What a super cute idea! I think I will send this to my brother and his family. Thanks! *giggling at the murder scene knife*

Jacqueline said...

Oh, yes! Dove! Fabulous looking and sounding.

April said...

MMm sounds yummy! I am hosting a Handmade Christmas party and would love for you to come check it out and link up!

http://cupofdelight.blogspot.com/2011/12/link-party-delightfully-handmade.html

BeingBrook said...

Looks so delicious and is adorable too!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin