Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Kitchen details

It's the little things that matter right? Just like the little details that make you say "Huh? Now that's cute!" It also helps take away the stock cabinet look that we had going on before.



It started with a few bun feet from Home Depot.


Then a builder Dad with a saw and a lot of courage.


I say courage because the bottom of the cabinets by the sink aren't as deep as the ones by the stove and dishwasher. I definitely didn't want them sticking out because goodness gracious everyone knows that I'd be stubbing my foot every ten minutes can we all agree on that? Yes we can. So we cut it in half and Builder Dad was shaking in his boots trying to cut something that rolls 2 inches away from A SAW.. you know because it can become a bloody mess if you're not careful. ;)


Anyway, it worked out in the end and he only lost one and a half fingers.

Kidding.

But the next issue was that they were half an inch too short. Now, you wouldn't be able to notice unless you got down on the floor and looked. We thought about leaving it but, I figured it would probably be something that kept me up late at night being irritated that I didn't spend an extra dollar and some brain power figuring out how to make it taller.

So I did.

I thought about using those discs you can find at Hobby Lobby in the wood section, or a small bead something small enough that we could fit under the foot but something curvy enough that looked like it was supposed to be there.

Then on an end cap I found these suckers! We cut a little bit off but the bottom of the bun slid right in. Perfecto! Best two bones I've ever spent.


They remind me of horse legs, boney knees and all. Do you see it?


We also painted the toe kick the color of the walls just so that they would pop a little more. I like it. I've seen it done with black paint but we don't have anything super dark in the kitchen and I thought that the black would overwhelm more than enhance if you know what I mean. So we added two more to the corners and I couldn't be happier. Adds a little custom charm to the little kitchen that could.




Dear Kitchen, you've come a long way baby.



How about you? Have you added any little touches to your kitchen to spruce it up lately? Share! I want to hear it all!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cute, love it when little details add so much!

Unknown said...

I noticed those little feet when you did you Christmas House tour and meant to ask about them! so beautiful and such a nice extra touch! LOVELY LOVELY!

Jenny said...

Love that, and have been wanting to do something like it, but wasn't sure how to pull it off! Love it!

Unknown said...

I love the cute lil details you added to your kitchen...I have not done anything to mine lately but I just saw on another blog where someone put lights under the bottom cabinets and at night it softly lit up the floor...that might be my next project!!!


www.mydailyphotojourney.blogspot.com/
www.facebook.com/MyCrazyBeautifulLife.13
www.pinterest.com/denyse13/

Calista said...

Love the idea for feet and think I will add the same thing to my kitchen. We've been remodeling - here's a peek at my kitchen redo.
http://ahouseandyard.blogspot.com/2011/12/cabinets-and-kitties.html

Erin @ Two Story Cottage said...

LOVE! They add so much character!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I love those little feet. What a great idea. And your kitchen is so pretty!!

xooxo
Jen

Tami Michel said...

What a fantastic idea. I think I'll have to try it!
~Tami

Vanessa said...

What a creative idea...I love it! In the last few years we have painted the kitchen walls and cabinets and replaced the appliances. Those changes made a dark and dreary kitchen look a lot more inviting. My dream is to get new flooring and new counters someday. :)

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Wow..those little feet make a huge difference. Love your kitchen!
We recently added bead board to our island and painted it black, then painted the kitchen grey (from pumpkin). Oh and took down a scallop piece over the sink. I guess we've done a few things. :)

http://ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com/2011/08/updating-abode-bead-board-kitchen.html

http://ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com/2011/11/updating-abode-new-kitchen-color.html

http://ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com/2011/12/dinnererrrkitchen-for-four-hold.html

Merry Christmas!!

Sarah Yoder said...

First thing that I noticed! So Cute...might have to try this.

Chatty Chics said...

Love it! You and your dad did a great job! What an amazing feature that adds SOOOOOO much cute-ness!
Melody
ChattyChics.com

Loribeth said...

I've been thinking about doing that same thing with our cabinets! I've been doing a lot of little things to our kitchen in the last three months. Come on over to my blog and check them out.

One thing I did in our kitchen was to put textured paintable wall paper on our cupboard doors. It makes them look like they have beadboard in the them instead of being flat. VERY easy to do!

Susan Case said...

Beautiful ideas. Hopping along here. Hope you'll visit my blog: Kindergarten for Teachers and Parents. Merry Christmas.

Patrice said...

Wow - what a difference! Merry Christmas!!

Mariaelena said...

Merry Christmas...love your feet..great addition to you cabinets.....we actually just finished our kitchen redo...I'd love for you to stop on by and see the post...Hope you are enjoying this special day!
Mariaelena

Blissful & Domestic said...

What a great idea!!

Rob said...

Really clever! I'll bet that if you were to also add some strips (maybe 1/8" thick by 2" wide) of wood vertically flanking wither side of the sink base cabinet from top to bottom, it would make it seem even more like a piece of furniture resting on those bun feet.

Most creative thing I've done in our kitchen recently was to Murphy's Oil Soap and then lemon oil the cabinets. They look much better to me, but it's probably so subtle that nobody else would notice. Nice, but hardly creative.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin