Sunday, January 31, 2010

Family Rules

So between an entry way redo, shredding (which is a job in itself 20 minutes my butt. Takes me an extra 10 just to get off the floor after each move!) preschool for thing 1. Party planning for thing 2. I decided to tackle this pretty diddy.

Our family rules canvas. They're all the rage ya know. I had to jump on the bandwagon. It originated with Lindsay's bff Nicole (with the amazing kitchen and super cute square potty.) I purchased a 28x30 canvas from Michael's, on sale of course and picked out a ton o' scrapbook paper that I couldn't live without. Lately I'm really into blues, don't tell my husband but I'm secretly craving a blue kitchen. Shhh. Turqouises, mustards, and olive green. What a combo huh? I went with all those and some red because it's my fav, of course.

Sorry, night time picture.
Wow I make it sound like a science to picking paper.
Okay, it's true. It is. :)
Matte Mod podge, 10 or so foam brushes (I used 4 because apparently the shred is working and I kept brushing too hard to get the bubblies out and broke them. Whoops. Don't know my own strength.) paint pens, and a steady patient hand. I painted the sides that will show & cut my paper in strips with different edges and layered them until it filled up the canvas.

They'll bubble.
I know huh, bummer.
You probably wont get past that downside but I did notice they smoothed out as it dried. It wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. Don't fret! More bubbles more character I like to say!

Okay, okay. After a couple coats and some drying it's time to pick your rules and fonts. I went to dafont.com and looked up which ones I wanted. Nicole printed hers and eye balled them, I didn't have a printer (gasp!) so I used the preview section of the font and wrote out my rule and eyeballed it from the computer. Or if you have incredibly good handwriting-- go solo! :)


I alternated white paint and black paint by the color of the paper, which by fate just happened to go white-black-black-white. That my friends, is a pattern. Love it when things like that happen. Another coat of MP and you're all set! Hang that baby up and watch your kids follow it to a T.
I should have added no trying on Mommy's make-up while she's not looking. Shoot.

;)
Now if I could only pick a set spot on where to hang it!
*The Rules*
Always tell the truth
Don't go to bed angry
Too much t.v is bad, too much reading is good!
Family comes first, always be there.
Hands are for hugging not for hitting!
Be thankful for what you have.. don't envy others
Have fun, be kind, ask first, no fussing, no whining
Husband adore her always- Wife love him forever
Sing silly, dance crazy, hug often, snuggle daily
Toys don't belong on the floor, put them away when done
use your manners- Yes, please. No, thank you.
Use nice words, ignore dirty words
Share everything except bad ideas
Say your prayers, thank God for this family.



Making


DIY Day @ ASPTL



Sumo's Sweet Stuff
The DIY Show Off
Lindsey's having a party too!


28 comments:

Jenn said...

Way Cute!!! You picked great colors!

lindsey said...

love it! your colors are great! thanks for sharing!

Richella Parham said...

You painted those rules freehand?? Wow, Rachelle! I'm so impressed! This looks awesome. :) And of course everyone should follow the rules perfectly!

anythinggoeshere said...

You did a wonderful job with your rules. It is very beautiful and the kids must love it.

Charity said...

Great job, I love your version. Now I am itching to try it . You did a great job, thanks for sharing.

Cha Cha

Journaling Gina said...

Love this...you did a great job!

Whitney said...

Please share your "rules" I love reading all the different ones, but I can't make them all out.

It looks great & I can't wait to make one!

Heidi said...

looks great! did you decide where to hang it yet?

Nicole said...

I've almost started this 20 times but stop because I can't decide where I would hang it!

Jess said...

This is great!!!!!! I have been wanting to post some rules for our home but had no idea how to do it craftily. Thanks for the idea. I want to know what your rules are as well. From what you can read from your pic, it looks so poetic.

Katie said...

Oh, I am so stealing this idea! I love it. I love decorating with words and I have been trying to figure out how to incorparate something like that in my bathroom. My bathroom counter looks like scrap booking paper (wierd I know, its a rental). So this will make it look cute rather than dated. Your rock!

Old Time Cindy said...

What a fun idea! Looks like your daughter had fun also...LOL!
Cindy at Lakewood

Chris said...

I SO want to make one of these, and I haven't taken the plunge yet! Yours turned out perfectly! I love it!

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

I love, LOVE this. So cute. I'm definitely putting this on my list of things I hope to make someday soon!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I keep thinking about making one of these, but I think mine will be more a schedule canvas, since we homeschool and the teens definitely need some more direction!

Patricia said...

this is adorable! i have been meaning to make one... someday!
nice to meet you!
many blessings
patricia

Kelly said...

that is so adorable! I want to do one now but would have to cut out all the letters on my cricut since my handwriting is horrible! Thanks for the fun project:)

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I love it. It's on my project list but I haven't gotten to it yet. Yours turned out great.

stephanie h said...

Love this! I would love to something similar!!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

It is so cute! I've got my canvas, I've got the paper, it's cut in strips - now you've inspired me to finish!

Kate said...

This is adorable. I love it. You did a great job!

Kathy said...

SOOOO perfect!! Can you make me one identical and then come over and hang it:) pretty pretty please!!

I have been thinking a lot about your kitchen's F A M I L Y letters...

Its So Very Cheri said...

You did great and I can't see a single bubble from here.

Cheri

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

I never tire of seeing these things! Love it :).

Unknown said...

That is AWESOME! Love your creation and the way it's so personalized to you and your family! I found you on the Tater tots and Jello blog. :)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Your Family Rules turned out soooo cute. I love it. I love the colors that you used. So fun and happy!!!!

Thanks for linking up!!!

XOOX
Jen

sofabellie said...

It's adorable. I love your color scheme. I had a problem with bubbles too until I changed my method. I used glue on the canvas and the back of the paper only (no glue on the front), and then used a credit card to smooth it down. After it was completely dry, I went back and lightly mod-podged the top. No bubbles!

Lisa said...

Love love love this! I have never heard of one of these? So are these really your house rules or did you find this list somewhere? (Sorry kind of a lame question!)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin