Thursday, February 18, 2010

Keys to my heart

In my attempt to finish the entry way sometime this year I've been cramming as much as I possibly can this week while Mr. P is home. Let's just say it's a little easier to craft, paint, and hot glue when there's someone watching the little devils angels while I work. :) Today I worked on this wall.

Tall, and empty are the two words to describe it. Boring would work too. I wanted something cute, nothing too personal since the house is still on the market {ugh!} But something that tugged at my heart strings. Everyone knows I'm a little sentimental about our first home. What's better than the keys to the house!

Each door in our house has it's own skeleton key, and since I've never had a reason to lock any of the doors in the house I've been using them for different things. Santa keys, apothocary fillers, and now art. As you can see I'm running out of keys! :)

Four left, but for this project we'll only be using three. I like things in threes and the fourth is a little shiny for my liking. At least for this project it is.

Nice and rusty and old. Gorgeous!

To start I purchased 3 12x12 frames at Michaels. They're usually 9.99 but this week (and almost everytime I see them) they're 50% off. I liked them because the matte is layered in the frame. Which makes it easy for the key to sit and not bulge out the back.

Other supplies, burlap or another medium for your key to sit on, a glue gun and 10 mintues.

Really, this was probably the fastest project ever! I cut the burlap to fit and glued it.

Making sure to pull it tight so you don't have a million wrinkles. You could double up on the fabric if you're using burlap so it's not so transparent. I for one didn't have enough to go around, and I just flipped the paper in the frame over so the white shows through (instead of the couple getting married, as lovely as they are). Good enough for this chick!

Then I put a smidgen of glue on the key and pressed her down. That's the nice part about hot glue if you ever want to change your mind it comes off so easy! Put everything back in the frame and you're done. Yep, that easy! See, how fast that can go!

The seriously hard part was getting a picture of them on the wall without a glare from the door. So I had to just give in. Forgive me! :) Now one of the the first things I see when I walk into the door, is the pretty (fast, and cheap) art work. I can't get enough of it!



The Girl Creative



DIY Day @ ASPTL




The DIY Show Off






35 comments:

Amber Filkins said...

SUPER cute!!!

And that WAS fast considering I read your "If you were my cream colored burlap, where would you be?" comment, not very long ago!!:)

♥♥♥ it!

Rachelle said...

:) SEE! It's true, so fast. I can find the fabric, make it and hang in within a half hour. woohoo..

Cara@HomespunKitchen said...

LOVE that, girl!! You amaze me...

There's No Place Like Memphis Mama said...

Cute! I just bought some old wrought iron skeleton keys to do the SAME thing haha:)

Unknown said...

Oh My!!! I so love it!!! I also love the fact that your house has all those incredible keys to each door. Beautiful transformation.

Sabrina said...

Love the personal touch.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

They look great! Getting a good photo without the glare is so hard!!!

Kate said...

I LOVE IT! You are so creative! And I love that you're frugal too!

Unknown said...

You are seriously creative. Those are darling. Great idea for the entry.
Brooke

maura said...

Great project. I love keys too! I may have to "borrow this idea". I think I can actually find 1/2 hours time next week as my kids won't be on vacation then!

Cedar Fort said...

That looks super cute! I did something similar for my house. I will have to post it up when I finish it. I haven't hung it up. :) Good job. You have a cute blog!
-Gillian

**** April **** said...

Love this! Great art piece that means a lot, too! And THAT is MY kind of art.

Frugal Home Designs said...

That is cool that those are from your house. What a great way to fill up that space.

Anny said...

Aww what a sweet change :)

Melissa's Thoughts said...

Love the keys. I just adore old things and what a great reminder of your home.

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Hi ya Rachelle! How are you girl? I saw that you were featured by Just A Girl today and while reading her post, I pulled my husband over to the computer and said "look, that's what I want to do to our entranceway". Your home is just so darn gorgeous! It's been fun reading through your posts. I love what you did with the keys. Love that your doors needed skeleton keys!

Thanks so much for the follow! I'm now following you too! Have a great weekend! -Mandi

Nicole said...

what a great idea! I love it!

Roeshel said...

Perfect for you entryway! Great job! :)

Roeshel

k.smith said...

what is this wall color?? love it. please let me know!

Niki Jolene said...

Super cute! I love that you dressed up a lil nook there.

Melissa said...

Beautiful old skeleton keys. I've seen similar things in magazines but these are so much more meaningful since they come from your home. Very, very, very cool.

Melanie said...

It looks really good on the wall and added a lot to it. Great job.

Esther said...

Love it!! I love old keys - I have my mom's collection - every key to every house she lived in and every car she had. I have them alll over my house in different ways!

The one and only Lady said...

Love it! Such a simple thing but it makes such a HUGE impact! Great job!!!

Amy said...

LOVE that!!!

Mandy said...

BEAUTIFUL! And so meaningful, since they actually go to the house! I love it - great idea, great execution!

Delightful Dwelling said...

They looks wonderful, what a cute idea.

Tausha said...

Super cute! I love the old vintage keys. Too bad people are'nt considered worth more and vintage as we get older :) I am going to check out the rest of your blog for other ideas! Keep it up girl! Ps-I wish that I had your entry. ")

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

I have three of those frames in my craft room waiting for something to be done with them. I had just planned to place photos inside, but I love what you did with them! Thanks for the inspiration.

I love your blog, by the way! :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I love this more now that I know that these are keys from your home. Awesome, and I love that your doors all have skeleton keys. AMazing.

Robyn said...

I'm in LOVE with this...I play with a couple of skeleton keys everytime I go to my favorite antique store. There is something so architectural about them...I may borrow this idea if it's okay! LOVE it!

Amie said...

I LOVE this!!!! I think keys make such cute decor. I need to find some of these and do it myself! Thanks for sharing. :)

The Little Red Shop said...

What a sweet way to capture a little of the history in your home!

: )

Julie M.

Unknown said...

What a great project! Not only does it feature three beautiful little pieces of your home, but it was fast, simple and turned out absolutely adorable. What more could you ask for?!

Lisa said...

This is fantastic!! I have some super old skeleton keys and plan on getting some more. This is a GREAT project for a few of them!!
Thank you so much for sharing!!
~Lisa
Lisa's Craft Blog

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin