Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Kitchen window switcheroo

Remember this window that I covered up one day while I was getting ready for our impromptu open house?

Yess... well that very same window was pretty sad for 6 months after I did that. Okay, I truly and whole heartily believe that any window is better with some toile on it but c'mon. I only used two tacks and besides that? The print was sideways! :) But, I'm a "use what you have girl". And, on that day I did just that. Today... I have some thing else! :) Welcome home, blue and cream ticking, welcome home. Two panels 18 inches long, I needed two because with the pleats I made, one wouldn't cover the whole window.


Geesh I'm good at this huh. Let's just move onto the pictures.

Anyone who sews should avert your eyes. This might make you sick. Everyone else, whip out your glue guns & hemming tape and lets get goin! I wanted the pleats pretty big so I measured and by measuring I mean, counting the lines in the print. :) 10 seemed good, 11 looked better. Yes one whole line made the difference. No joking aside. :)



Grab it, put a dab of glue and fold it. Then another 11 lines and I made another fold the opposite way. So on and so on.




Till you get to the painful end of the road. I was half way there and out of fabric. Shoot, huh?



No grab the other piece of fabric and start another pleat.



Yep that's just how I roll. You can't even tell it's two pieces, well.. Now that I told you, you probably will. But, we're in the tree of trust I wouldn't lie to you.



Ahh looks good. Just needs a nice ironing. But, hmm it was missing something. A little pizazz. I didn't have any trim around but I did have a pound of jute twine. It needed to be a little more substantial than one little piece, so I took three and braided them together.

Like my little make shift braiding station? It doubled as a jump rope that day!




Once the mile long braid was done I took my hemming tape a started ironing it to the end of the panel.



This is when I cussed myself out for not thinking about doing this first. Ughh. But you know I was not about to rip it all apart and start over. But if you're thinking of doing this. Just put the trim on first, it wont mess up your pleats that way. It wasn't too bad but, eh live and learn.


Once it was done I took a 3 dollar rod from Target and hiked it up about 6 inches above the window and my cabinets. With such a small kitchen we're working with anything that can add the illusion of height to a room, I'll take it!


Stand back in awe. A little nautical, a little fun. I like it!


Amanda's having a party! Do it, Go there! Plus she got a makeover. Lovin' it! :)
The DIY Show Off

Transformation Thursday

The Girl Creative


DIY Day @ ASPTL




The DIY Show Off






34 comments:

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

it looks great! I like the color and I love the addition of the jute. Very pretty.
gail

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

You, my friend, are brilliant!!! :) Will you link this up as a Solution at my Decorating Dilemmas party? It's going up tonight and will be up all day tomorrow. :) This would be great for readers to see if they have window dilemmas on their minds. :)

Amber Filkins said...

Super cute!! I ♥ it. Love the braided jute too. Great job!

Lacie @ Creative Attempts said...

love it love it love it....wow it deserved three love it's lol

Unknown said...

It's cute! What I like best is, you used creativity to get the look you wanted. This appeals to those who can't sew, or those of us who are too lazy to! Good job!

Nancy

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

WELL DONE!

Katie said...

I love your white kitchen and I love your window treatment. I'm thinking that looks like a good idea for my two naked kitchen windows.

Mrs. Chapman's 2nd Grade Class said...

I love it! I also have to say I love the light fixture! It is just what we are looking for. Do you mind sharing where you found it? I'm pretty new to your blog and have enjoyed reading it. :)

Kathy said...

I love how your ll BTW:)

Totally Impressive! Amzing how one thing can change the whole look of the room. It really DOES look nautical now!!

Tidy Brown Wren said...

Simple, cute,and frugal. Great job!

Rachelle said...

Jennifer- We got it at Lowes last year :) I think they had something similar to it at HD too.

Mama Thompson said...

I like it too...and nice move on moving it up 6 inches...

Anny said...

Thank you for sharing, I love the braided detail :)

Vanessa said...

It looks great
Very creative!
Love
Vanessa

Be Colorful Coastal said...

I like how you roll. Now where is my glue gun? Sewing is for suckers :) Seriously, great job. Glad I found you here I am now subscribing.
Thanks for sharing.
Pam

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Thanks for linking up, chickie!! :)

There's No Place Like Memphis Mama said...

Great idea! I'm not scared to hot glue either haha!

Kendall@ Finesse Your Nest said...

Wow! Looks great! Pleats ala glue gun. Who knew?!

I love that you used jute for the trim. It's my new special friend.

Jessi @ Yankee Belle Home said...

Girl, you know how to use a glue gun! Impressive. And I love the little touch of the braided twine! Nice job!

Richella Parham said...

It looks great, Rachelle! I really love the braided trim. That was a stroke of brilliance!

Anonymous said...

That was such a great idea! They are so cute...I'm off to find some fabric so that I can create my own this weekend.

Kolein said...

I'm so in love with hot glue and pleats now!!!

You are a genius!!!!

Your kitchen is so nice!

Kristi said...

What a GREAT idea!! And I LOVE the braided twine!!!!! I do not sew, I WISH I did, but love things like this for when you can't sew a button!!! I have a sewing machine in my basement that has never been used!!! How sad!

randee said...

it turned out soooo nice! how smart & resourceful you were to think of the jute. really added the final touch. oh, & i loved the pleats!

Wendy said...

It looks so clean and fresh! Nice job!

Love the Decor! said...

Very creative and a nice touch with your white cabinets!

Fawn said...

that looks great! I'm trying to get over my fear of hot glue :) I love striped ticking, and the braid trim was a nice touch!

Anonymous said...

I love it! I love the color and I truly adore the braid you made of twine. Really clever!

Stephanie said...

You are too funny! I think it looks great! Good job, lady!
Stephanie the-still-waters.blogspot.com

KJ said...

Just found your blog- I love it! Way to go on the curtain! SO cute- love DIY projects... now if I could just get better at doing them!

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

Oh my goodness, this is so cute. I love how simple and nautical it is. Excellent job!

Julia said...

I love the idea of braiding the jute. So precious!

The Weathered Cottage said...

That is sooo cute! Very nautical, my fav!

Melany @ Project Anthologies said...

It IS cute! I think you and I would get along quite nicely. I do sew... but it's even better when you can get by WITHOUT doing it! Love the lil curtain!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin