Saturday, April 10, 2010

Making it pretty

Yes, I'm well aware that most cork boards function by being the message center, idea center, memo board. But who says they can't be PRETTY? When I pictured my giant cork board for the entry way I knew a few lovely things would end up on it that I just didn't want to forget about, like an upcoming wedding. Miss Lindsay might be upset if Mr. P forgets to stand up behind her fiancee` huh? That was a close one.

So see? One vital piece of information has made it to the cork board. Everything else is just pure bliss. Wanna see?
First up, a lover-ly photo, in a frame hung by a tack. What's so amazing about this picture? Well it's the beach and my husband doing what he does best, playing with my favorite youngest daughter. At first, I'll be honest I thought they were both my kids when come to find out after close inspection-- the other child doesn't belong to me. Opps! I put it in a dollar store frame, with tacks hot glued to the back. Hello lover.


Next up, my "practice a zig zag on the sewing machine" mini pendant banner. LOVE IT. Like, hard core love it. I had the tiniest bit of that pretty turquoise fabric left and made 3 little flags with it and 4 burlap flags. Then tried my hardest to make a straight zig zag on some brown ribbon. Don't look at how many times I messed up. It's bad. I'm learning okay? ;)

Then, I had to jazz up some tacks. To do this I simply hot glued them to some sea shells that I lovingly stole from LB1. Beachy and beautiful!

Remember those "Family" plaques that were all the rage during Christmas 2 years ago? Well I had a bunch of "Blessed" ones packed away and decided to get one out and spring it up. What was a yellowish crackle is now a turquoise messy yellow crackle.

ha.

But really I smeared some paint on and wiped it off. It was that simple! It looks old and beat up and messy and beautiful. Remember Nester's mantra! To add a little kick to it I tied some ribbon in knots around the handle. The message isn't to bad either. We are very blessed. :)
I'm sure more treasures will find its way to the big ol' board. But for now it's working and it's lovely to me. It might not make sense to everyone, but hey-- they don't live here!

Happy weekend!


DIY DAY



21 comments:

shannon said...

Super cute. I need one of these. :-)

Kelsey said...

so cute. Love your little mini banner! :)

Sawdust Girl said...

love the seashell tacks. Really different.

So Sunny Day said...

I love how your message center is practical and beautiful! nothing worse than a cluttered message board that you can't find a thing on! Your seashells are too cool!!! what a great idea :)

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Kimmie @ Hello Mess said...

Where is the picture of me?

HA.

Can't believe that was one of our first conversations.

LOVE this. That turqouise fabric makes me drool. Puddles.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Very nice! I love your banner. :)

the thrifty ba said...

that is so cute! i love that blue!

Unknown said...

Very cute, Rachelle! I love how you stuck the picture frame up there...very clever!

Nancy

Crystal said...

That is so much fun. I love all the little details.

Debbie said...

I love the seashells glued to the tacks for the bulletin board. What a cute idea. So simple! I just might add some to our family bulletin board. Thanks for sharing.

Embellished Bayou said...

I love, love, love the seashell tacks! I have so many small shells, I will have to try that....guess I need a big, pretty corkboard first, though! Or I could make magnets! Thanks for the idea!

Joy said...

I love your fancy corkboard! It came out so special and very crafty with the terrific flag banner, frme, and seashell tacks! Such a magnificent idea! Can you give me the link to your etsy store?

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Love the banner! And you know I love shells :).

Jennifer Juniper said...

I love to have places to stick up all the little scraps of life! That mini banner rocks!

Morgan//Nuts and Bows said...

This turned out too cute I love it!!

Check out my new
GIVEAWAY!!!

~Morgan

Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Love the tacks - this whole thing turned out darling!

Jenn said...

I LOVE that little banner...my wheels are turnin' now! I have to make one for sure!
Thanks for sharing!
Have a delightful day!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Love all of your special details on there! :) You'll smile every time you see those things!! Have a blessed day today!
Stacey

Cate O'Malley said...

Love the Blessed sign - gorgeous color!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

The seashells are the best! Great idea!

Amy said...

Ahh! This is lovely!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin