Thursday, August 20, 2009

How do you say goodbye?

What do you do when you absolutely LOVE your house but it's time to move on? What do you say to her when NO ONE since 1940 has updated her or loved her until you came along? All those nights painting over the thick shiny lime green paint throughout the house. The time and effort giving her comfortable warm floors for children to play on and dogs to snuggle up and snore on. The sad attic that didn't get to see the light of day, who was waiting for a two princess' to call their home. The one tiny bathroom that just needed a little push in the right direction for some hot water.




Work, that's all she needed. We knew that, we accepted her. And now, how am I supposed to tell her it's over? That I only can hope the next family to move in will care as much as we did. That they can bring their babies home from the hospital and know they'll be safe here. Play here, walk to preschool from here. Swing in the yard, play in the sprinkler. Have picnics in the living room and baths in the kitchen sink. That as many fights that will be had in this house, as many times one will storm out in a fit of anger-- they'll always come back, here. Home.




How to I console her when people come through to see her, critiquing her. Judging her. Poking at her every flaw, changing her. What if people don't see what I see? The perfect little house that could.be.everything to someone. The pride that we had when we first got the keys. Our piece of the country. All ours. Would someone else care as much? Will anyone want her like we did? What if she sits on the market, rejected. Trying with all her might to show people her true potential. Not just a house, but a real- Home.




That's all she wanted to be. She waited for the perfect family to come in and help her shine. She waited 60 years for someone to love her, really love her. What do I say? How do you break up with your house? How do you leave your home.


How do I tell her it's not her. It's me.

7 comments:

sweetjeanette said...

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest! Dropping by from SITS. As I'm reading this I'm just enjoying, and loving it and thinking how deeply she loved this house, and then the last line. I LOVE IT!!!! Such a nice Saturday smile!
Thanks!!!
sweetjeanette.blogspot.com

Carrie said...

Please please please share with me the color of your bathroom! We are about to paint ours and that's the color I want! It's gorgeous. :-)If you remember the color, would you mind emailing me?

makinglemonadeblog at gmail dot com

Thanks so much, and happy Saturday SITS day!

Pauline Wiles said...

OK, you just made me teary.
The thing is, houses are part of the family, a huge part. I hope you're now living somewhere that you love just as much.

dmvoccola said...

Sweet, very sweet!

Angie Holden said...

Cute post and cute house! Thanks for sharing!

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Just found this post. Wow..we get so emotionally attached to our homes, don't we? We're in our 3rd house but the last move was the hardest (and hopefully LAST) on the kids...all our memories..things we did to the house....it's hard. We love our new house, but our last one will always hold a special place in our hearts. Luckily I took lots of pics!
-heather

Mama Up! said...

I just came across this post, and I could see myself feeling the same way about the house we own now (our first). We have no plans to move until our kids are out of the house (notice I said kids and we have one now, so we're in for the long haul). But who knows? A job offer in another state, etc. could uproot us. It's funny, because our house is so similar to the one pictured, right down to the sloped walls upstairs and the tiny bathroom (with the exact some arrangement of plumbing).

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin