Monday, November 29, 2010

Christmas Mantel Mania

I want to start out by saying, that well.. I'm not gonna lie. I had my mantel garland up a week or so before Thanksgiving. I just couldn't wait. Sue me.
Everything else on the mantel, that I waited for. I couldn't get it just right. The candle holders on each end throw it off. But I don't have any extra paint to cover the gaping holes that will be there if I were to take them out. And, the argument I'd have with my husband over it just wasn't worth it at the moment. 

:) 



Okay, glad I got that off my chest. Now I knew I was going to stick with muted golds and silvers from last year. I got the bulbs at the dollar store and I absolutely love them! They aren't a yellowy gold, but a pretty soft warm gold. Mmmm feels like Christmas. I threw in some pine cones, berries, and things of that nature..(Haha).



For the top of the mantel fantel I had a little help from the thriftstore and TJ Maxx..

And, my awesome photographer Jen who was awesome and took our family photo in the nick of time. Look, no glare! I skipped the glass and put the huge picture in my 16x20 clearance frame from Hobby Lobby and used the cardboard from the packaging for the back. Done and done. 

Since the whole thing is so monochromatic I wanted to use lots of textures. Case in point the books which are just too sweet with their library stickers still on them. The rough burlap and jute wrapped around my smooth spray painted vase, gold berries and a few scattered ornaments with different sheen's. Love.


I scored these two beaded trees for pennies at TJ Maxx and I couldn't be happier with them! They're the perfect color and add some great height. It also plays nicely with the little glittered Happy Holidays sign I threw up there doesn't it?


My mantel and I had a photoshoot. This girl can work the camera, look at her pose.




I'm cheesy mc. cheeserson today by the way. Can you tell? 


Oh and since we don't have a mantel obviously and it's hanging above our retro non-flatscreen tv and book shelf I added the vase and sticks for some height on the other side. I'd love to put another bookshelf there but the door barely opens as it is. Boo. Kinda cute, kinda funky, kinda like someone just sat a random vase on a milk crate and called it a day, wait..what? :)

So there's my nature meets glitter mantel. My woodsy glamor..glitzy camping.. gold and glitter and pine cones oh my! How about a sneak at the tree too?


Linking up to Layla's party, along with the rest of blog land! :)

37 comments:

Unknown said...

it all looks SO awesome!
like really, really.
really.

Faith said...

it looks great! i love how simple and elegant it looks. the colors are beautiful together!

Lori said...

Beautiful!!! I love the soft colors!!

Sara said...

The mantel looks so beautiful and festive!!

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

LOVE it!! I can't wait to do mine now. Just got back from WDW and feel so behind on all the Xmas stuff. Your mantel and retro tv are all totally divine!

Jill said...

LOVE it! Out of curiosity, how did you get it to stay up there? I'm always curious how people do it!

Megan // Honey We're Home said...

I love those natural tones with a bit of sparkle. I can tell your tree looks great too!

Kelli said...

It looks great!! I have my mantle half way done. I need to make a trip to town to get a few more decorations to spruce it up!

xoxo
Kelli @
loveoursimplelife.blogspot.com

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

That was cool, Rachelle. :) I wouldn't have known it wasn't a "real" mantel until show showed the whole picture. It's lovely!!!

Unknown said...

Your mantle looks beautiful! Now I want to see you tree!!

Southern Fried Gal said...

It's beautiful! I love your "fantel"...

Alexis @ Our Inspired Home said...

I like the garland! It's very pretty. Well done!

Lindy said...

What a wonderful way to "make" a mantel! Genius! And, so pretty!

cindy said...

How I love me some neutrals for the holidays. That swag/garland thingy is a.maz.ing. Just sayn'.

Great use of textures too. Restful but interesting for the eye. Good on ya :)

Sue said...

Cute faux mantel! Love those silver trees- they would go well in my silver decorated great room. I have come to the conclusion that I need to start decorating for Christmas in at the beginning of Nov. I can't seem to get on the ball. I envy that you started the garland so early. LOL

Pam Kessler said...

Very cute faux mantel. I have a faux one going to. Well it's a wood stove. I miss my house with the big old mantel to decorate!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Just beautiful! I love all of the glitter and texture. Well done. The family photo is great too! :) I always hate the glare.

Dana and Daisy said...

i like your very subtle color pallet. It's easy on the eyes!

Marianne said...

Love, your non-mantel. I got one of those too!
And I think it looks so special with your family photo as the centerpiece.

Kristen said...

Best faux mantle I've seen in a long time. I love all the woodsie glitz!

Richella Parham said...

The fantel's looking great all dressed for Christmas! You do a great job with that darling shelf. You should be proud!!

Shaunna said...

Beautiful....I love your garland! It's gorgeous, faux or not! -shaunna :)

Joy@Thrifty Parsonage Living said...

Very elegant..I love it!

InMyOwnStyle said...

Love that you didn't let not having a fireplace no reason not to have a mantel to decorate in your home. Looks perfectly festive.
My best- Diane

Jen said...

Very Beautiful!!! Love those cone trees!

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

I love your woodsy glam!! :) It looks fantastic, and the tree looks like it's gonna be good!! Great job!

Maggie Lamarre said...

Luv luv it.
Thank you so much for sharing
http://passuinatelyartistic.com
Maggie

Trisha @ The Sweet Survival said...

Love it! The colors are perfect!

Samantha said...

I love that garland! Did you make it? It's so lush and beautiful! I would love more info about how you made it!!

Roeshel said...

It's gorgeous, Rachelle!

:)
Roeshel

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

The garland is perfection! And I love how you incorporate a family picture.
Sarah

Shar said...

So pretty! I came by way of the HOH link party. I just wanted to say that maybe (if you want) you could scoot your bookshelf over in the corner. Maybe even put it at an angle in the corner. Then take the lamp off the top (keep something lower up there to balance the room). If you need a lamp over on that side, you could scoot the tv down now and put a small entry table on the side by the door. Put the lamp on *that* table instead. Or get a small scale hanging lamp or floor lamp for that side of the tv. IDK, it's such a lovely room and you've done a wonderful job with it already!

Shar said...

Sorry, it was Layla's link party that brought me over here, not HOH. Your mantle is beautiful, I hope you post pics of your tree!

Pieced Pastimes said...

Your mantel turned out wonderful! I love your colors and the garland is just perfect. Thanks for sharing.

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

I love your mantle, its so crisp, and neat. I don't balme you for setting it up early :)

Come share will ya, **6 weeks 2 JINGLE** I would LOVE to have you!!

Bella :)

Joan said...

Oh, those of us with no fireplaces THANK YOU for have such fun with a mantel shelf. That is definately on my list of desired upgrades.

Love the high-left to low-right movement -- it is pleasing to see.

Agree with your comment about your candlesconces. IDEA: Makeshift boxes, wrapped in whatever, that you simply place over the sconces. They hide the sconces, provide interest and scaping possibilities. Instant height and two more shelves to build your joyous decor. Have fun.

said...

Yes, PLEASE share how you got the garland to stay on top of the mantel; I love that look and need to know how to do that : ) And did you make it, or did you buy it already beautiful like that?!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin