Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A non-Christmas post. New dining room table.

Do you feel it? The awkward feeling like I should be still talking about Christmas right now and I'm not going to. :) Yes December feels like the month that is all about the glimmer and magic and this Craigs list find, technically was magic. Every once and a while I'll peruse CL just to see if I can find anything that fits my fancy, usually not. But then one day, the clouds parted and the angles sang. This table is EXACTLY like I wanted. At the time, we had a pub style table. Dark and way too tall for a two year old who wants to get in her booster seat by herself.


Crash.
A daily sound I'd hear.
 
I love the look of round tables, our dining room is small so a little round table is great for us and the chunky base. Goodness, I was in love. Leaf? Oh shut up. Can't get better.

Wish I'd taken a real before picture but this will have to do.


I mentioned it so sweetly to my husband and he said we could go look. Look means buy, trust me. So we did, then he asked what I wanted to do with it. Oh, sweet boy. Guess what color? Guess. Yes some lovely white. Can't go wrong.



She got two coats of Killz oil based primer. Yes oil base sucks, it's hard to clean up and tends to dry fast so you have to work faster. But, for a kitchen table I want something that is going to stick. No peeling for me! Then I went over it with a plain jane white. Followed by Deft clear wood finish, a top coat that doesn't yellow. The last thing I want is a yellow table.


 Oh, the dressers? Yeah, those are the built ins from the girls room, I figured since I had the paint out I might as well get those done too. We worked all day but everything that needed a fresh coat of white got one. :) Nothings safe when I have a new can of paint.



The chairs aren't quite done yet but eh, they will eventually. And soon enough we'll have a nice rug to soften the floor up and I'll finally put up those curtains I've had for the last year. While we're at it we might as well paint the kitchen, so sick of the yellow.  Don't tell my husband that though.
For now I'm just enjoying a table that better suits our family. 

:)





8 comments:

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Wow it looks so fresh and pretty. I love it! Great job!!!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Rachelle, I love it!! We have a similar table in our kitchen and I want to paint it sooooo badly, but T freaked out about the finish blah blah blah. I guess I'm stuck with the country-ish look for now. :(

Jami Nato said...

super cute! paint is a very magical thing...

Lynn said...

Really love your black pub style table and chairs, but, really love your new round table and chairs too! I have a round table and chairs in our diningroom..as it's a very small area too.. I had my husband paint my table set black a few years back.. They were oak before.. It is really amazing what a difference paint can make...on anything, that's for sure!

Blessings,
~Lynn

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

That table is so much better for the area than the big tall rectangle one for sure. I am glad to read a non Christmas post. Call me Scrooge, but I am Christmased out and have been for the last few weeks. I can't wait to see it all with finished chairs and a rug. It is hard to find a good priced rug for a round table that is a decent size. Or at least for me it was. I liked Overstock.com the best when I was searching.

Christy said...

You did such a lovely job! Thank you for the tip on the right top coat.

-Christy
http://highheelsandlattes.blogspot.com/

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Very nice and airy. Well done on your work! x

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin