Monday, April 19, 2010

Dresser o' Dresser

See that dresser over yonder? 

 
Yes, I've had it for about a billion years. Before that? It was my *great* Grandma's. Needless to say it's a tad dated but in great condition and a little sentimental to me, being that it's the last piece I have that was hers. Something I found out just this year was that it isn't the original stain it was when it was brand spankin' new! I like to think that "GG" was an avid do-it-yourselfer like me who didn't need a man to pretty up her furniture. Nice thought eh? Maybe that's where my craziness comes from.
Or maybe she bought it like that, I like my first idea better.

Okay, so we have a dated dresser and a can of paint. Voila. Magic happens when those two things combine. They make a shabby chic love child dresser.


I started with a few coats of semi-gloss soft white. It felt right, remember to always go with what feels right. After she was painted to my liking I sanded her down, and cleaned her off and prepped her for some staining. I wanted her to look aged and have the little curves and crevices peek out, this is where staining will accent those lovely little bits!! Then, I wanted to take it a step further and dry brush some bright white on it. Crazy? Maybe. But I like it, you can see the soft greyish white through the stain and the bright white. It looks so nice in person. Since she'll be in the bedroom she shouldn't have too much wear and tear. However, we are planning a move and you can't be to careful with bumps and nicks when you're moving furniture. I've been reading up on protective coating and plan on putting something on it, but not today. I also need to touch up the inside parts by the drawers. Shoot. ;) Good thing I want it too look beat up and ragged huh?! I also changed up the hardware to some brushed nickle, my absolute favorite. It matches my curtain rods---that you've yet to see. I'm such a tease. I could drag this out for a year, haha. I mean I've only posted about the dresser 13 times right?



I also added a little plant from my IKEA trip, and that cute bottle with the sea shell from HomeGoods, but how easy would that be to DIY? Can't wait to put a message in it for my lovies.  Okay I promise that's the last time I show you the little corner with the dresser. Done, zip zilch.



27 comments:

Jen said...

Oooh I LOVE the transformation of your dresser! Looks very nice!

Student Entrepreneur said...

Looks GREAT!!

shannon said...

So pretty. I love the white. Gorgeous!

Kenzie said...

Looks Amazing! And it's even more amazing because it was your Great Grandma's!

Katie said...

Good job girl! Love the white dresser. I can't wait to see the total reveal!

the thrifty ba said...

the white is perfect!

Unknown said...

That is so fun to have something of your great granmothers. I'm sure she wouldn't mind it's nice update. Things were built well back in the day so they could be painted several times before they wear out. I have a bedroom set of my great grans. Love it. I just like to feel connected I guess.
Anyway, your white dresser looks great.
Brooke

Morgan//Nuts and Bows said...

WOW! This turned out so great, I just LOVE painted furniture!!

~Morgan

Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!

Unknown said...

It looks great! I just love transformations like this; it looks amazing!

Nancy

Erin @ 3 Meadow Lake Cottage said...

Don't ya just love sentimental pieces of furniture that have been handed down through the family!? Especially after they get a facelift :)
It look fabulous!

Jennifer Juniper said...

I love furniture with a story :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Ditto what Jennifer said! "She" looks fabulous! :)

Turley Times said...

Visiting from DIY Day - love it! I am going to be painting a dresser soon; thanks for the inspiration!

Hannah

Betsy Thompson said...

I have three dressers at home you can transform as cute as this one when you have the time! :)

Joselyn said...

It's so amazing what white paint can do. What a nice transformation!

Kathy said...

GEORGOUS!!! Dont know how you do it! I saw the perfect hutch today. Just needed to be painted glossy black. I stood there and needed acup of coffee. Just can't right now...soooo I march on vicariously through you. AND you continue to make me proud:)

carolyn said...

What a beautiful transformation. I really like your idea of the two different whites. And that tray is fantastic too.

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Great make-over! I did a 'Grandma' Dresser too! :)Looks great!

My Cottage Charm said...

Rachelle,
I think your grandma would be proud that you made her piece of furniture your own! :)
Hey, I came over to let you know about my giveaway. I wanted to make sure you had a chance to throw your name in! :) Feel free to spread the word...the more the merrier!
Hope you have a great day!
Blessings
Melissa

My Cottage Charm said...

Rachelle,
I think your grandma would be proud that you made her piece of furniture your own! :)
Hey, I came over to let you know about my giveaway. I wanted to make sure you had a chance to throw your name in! :) Feel free to spread the word...the more the merrier!
Hope you have a great day!
Blessings
Melissa

ClassyGal said...

I'm sure your grandmother would be so proud of the beautiful job you've done!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Looks great! Can't go wrong with white.

Sarah @ Hennessey House said...

stopping by from kimba's diy day - and this is magic, indeed! wonderful transformation :)

Chris said...

Love it, love it, love it! White paint is just fantastic!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

White paint fixes everything! It really does. This is a great re-do. It looks beautiful now.

EllensCreativePassage said...

Great job on the dresser...I like the seashells on top of the tray!

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

I love it! I love even more that you managed to salvage a piece that had more than just monetary value ... that it reminds you of your family. Great job!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin