Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Entry way part 3

So we've covered board and batten, building a bench, adding baskets that probably wont get used and now we need a little something comfy to sit on. Check, check, check!

What I don't have at the moment, a staple gun. Shoot. We'll I'm a very impatient person and I love to use what I have so glue gun it is. I mean, it worked for the curtains? How hard can it be? Let's do this!

First off some foam. I had some 1 inch foam hanging around and decided it was way too thin for my liking.

Instead of buying more foam or thicker foam which can be mighty expensive, I stole borrowed some rubber from Mr. P. It's actually for insulation but its thick, and bouncy and lovely. Did I mention it's free? Cut it to size and layered them. See how thick it is, mmm.

Something my tush will love! Even better with the foam on top of that! Heavenly!

So enough with my likes and dislikes in regards to thickness, I laid my fabric on the counter, also cut to size but a tad bigger than the foam and board so I could wrap it nicely. Then the thin foam, rubber and board.

Now grab the glue gun (Or staple gun if you didn't let someone borrow yours and not get it back, ahem.) and bead some glue on the edge, I started with the back. It felt right, I like to go with what feels right.

Fold the corners like a present and move on. Glue and go, wrap and fold. Be sure to pull it as tight and evenly as you can.

I wrapped the front corners a little differently because I didn't want them to be seen-- whatever works and feels right. Go for it! We're breaking all the rules anyways with the glue gun, and the rubber insulationfaux foam.....hey it works!

Then lay it on and love it. Because as long as you love it, that's all that matters!


Transformation Thursday


The Girl Creative


DIY Day @ ASPTL




The DIY Show Off






24 comments:

There's No Place Like Memphis Mama said...

Love it!

Mama Thompson said...

So great...I just love your entryway and I'm pretty sure you will get lots of use out of that cushion...even if the baskets don't get used:)

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

So pretty - I would love to have a spot like this in my home!

Anonymous said...

Looks amazing! Now it just needs a cozy pillow or two :)

Shannon said...

I love your entryway. The board and batten, is so beautiful!

Jess said...

Love it!!! I think that I am going to do the board and batten in my daughters room. Thanks for showing us how easy it is.

Katie said...

Seriously nice. I think I could do that and I have supplies for that. Saw the post with the house numbers on the door. I'm loving that too. If I can paint my front door red, then I might do that. We will see. It is a rental (not that my DIY self notices that minor detail).Good thing the home owners are so open to our ideas.

Katie said...

Seriously nice. I think I could do that and I have supplies for that. Saw the post with the house numbers on the door. I'm loving that too. If I can paint my front door red, then I might do that. We will see. It is a rental (not that my DIY self notices that minor detail).Good thing the home owners are so open to our ideas.

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

It looks fabulous! You must be so proud of yourself! And what do you mean you won't use those baskets? I have ugly baskets in my front mudroom and they are overflowing with things. You'll find a use for them.

BTW-I have a giveaway for Virtue Lipgloss (the same stuff that was on JAG) going on right now. Stop by!

Wendy said...

Looks nice and cozy. And way to improvise ~ you go girl!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

{squealing!} It looks fabulous, Rachelle!!!! Love love love!!

Julie said...

Wow!! This has turned out so nice!! You have really done a great job!

Kathy said...

WOW is right. i cant believe you did that. I am so over the top impressed and you little lady just keep topping yourself!!!

Unknown said...

Wow! So I am a new comer. I love what you have done. I had to keep going back to see about the baskets and bench. I want to do this in my mudroom sooo bad. You have definately inspired me. I will be back for sure
Thanks,
Brooke

Lise said...

What a wonderful entryway! You did a beautiful job.

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

I just found you over at JAG and I'm so glad I did, loving your blog!
:)
Kristin

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

I just found you over at JAG and I'm so glad I did, loving your blog!
:)
Kristin

Killara girl said...

WOW that's pretty cool...i mean even i could do that...and to think i threw away a whole couch of rubber foam because i just couldn't think of how to use it!

Jessi said...

Oh my goodness! I am so happy I saw this post. I have wanted a foam seat for a window seat in our living room since we moved in. (um, 7 years ago!) I thout I needed to know how to sew! This will be my weekend project. Thanks so much! And your entryway looks lovely!

Kelsey said...

SO cute! I love the baskets and the board and batten is gorgeous! Great job!

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

SLAP GORGEOUS. When reading your previous posts, I didn't think it could get any better ... but it did! I love it and hope to attempt this one day at my house. Great job!

Magic Brush said...

Fantastic job! I love the board and batten!!!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That looks great, Rachelle! Very creative!

Sarah said...

Everything looks fabulous! Congrats on a beautiful job well done!!!
God's blessings,
Sarah :D

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin